FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore 2.0 ....no Ojibwe or other Languages??

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
R. D. Hamilton
Encore 2.0 ....no Ojibwe or other Languages??
on Apr 13, 2008 at 10:37:15 pm

I am authoring a multilingual DVD. It is my first one with 3 languages that aren't in the available language codes.

Cantonese (I just used the chinese Track)
Ojibwe
Cree

Is there any workarounds I can do to make these languages work? I am using a menu for language selection, but if I place a language in a different language track, I don't want it to come up when someone hits the language selection button on their DVD remote and have it say the wrong language.

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
Re: Encore 2.0 ....no Ojibwe or other Languages??
on Apr 14, 2008 at 3:29:26 am

There's no work around really. Those 2 aren't supported by the DVD spec. If I were you I would forget setting languages at all. The language selection menu is just fine. Once someone selects the language your good to go. Not many titles use languages anymore. If the user's player doesn't see the language its looking for it will default to your single English language - where you have your language selection menu..correct?

Return to posts index

R. D. Hamilton
on Apr 14, 2008 at 3:24:59 pm

Thanks for the reply Eric. I am not sure what you mean about not setting languages, but still having a language selection menu. In order to make the languages to work, I have to assign them to tracks don't I?. Otherwise I would have a separate timeline for each language....and there isn't enough room to fit 11 - 25 minute shows.

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:16:45 pm

I'm sorry, I though you were talking about Menus.

When you enter a track, players will look for the language their player is set to. So, if their player is set to German, it will look for the audio stream set as German. If it doesn't see this, the player will default to whatever you have in the number 1 spot in your timeline. Since many people around the world don't bother to set the player to the appropriate language, this system of setting languages to tracks might not work correctly.

I would have your audio set up menu and continue from there. Once the user select their language and plays the track, they're good to go. I just would be nervous to have someone pick German then have the player play the Spanish track because their player was accidentally set to Spanish.

Return to posts index

R. D. Hamilton
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:50:41 pm

There won't be much worry about default language settings since the DVD is only being distributed in Manitoba (Canada).

Right now, there is a menu with all the languages as buttons. When you click on a language button, it sets the specified audio track and goes to the Show selection menu. No matter what show they select, it will play the audio track that was previously selected, until it is changed.

Everything is running perfect, except that I don't have a track for Ojibwe or Cree, (or Cantonese, but from what I have read, it is just supposed to go in the Chinese track.)

I technically could put the Cree and Ojibwe languages on any other audio track, but if the user happened to select the audio track using the remote on the fly, it would not display the proper name of the language. (although this isn't really a big deal, since the language will mostly be selected from the language menu, and there is no need to switch languages on the fly)

The only other option I see is to create 8 different timelines (4 shows x 2 languages) and have a separate show menu for these 2 languages.

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:05:56 pm

That workflow sounds perfect.

E

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]