FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Choices

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Asselin
Compression Choices
on Mar 29, 2008 at 10:19:29 pm

Lately I have been getting content from a client as standard
DV. I have been asked to re-edit, add titles with graphics and create a menued DVD.

My question is, after I edit and add titles am I better to export uncompressed and then allow the DVD software (Encore CS3) to re-encode or just create M2V files right out of Premiere from a quality standpoint.

If I wasn't adding the titles with graphics I would think that the M2V route would be the way to go but I do want the best quality so I'm asking for opinions.

Thanks;

Dan

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Compression Choices
on Mar 30, 2008 at 12:16:53 am

It would be much better to up-convert to Uncompressed before you start added the graphics and titles. That is where you will get the most bang for the buck. Graphics and edges of text are what really get killed with DV.

As for later, I would do a start test to see if you can see any benefit, my guess is you won't see much if any.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Compression Choices
on Apr 1, 2008 at 1:40:28 pm

Dan,

IMO, exporting m2v/ac3 from the timeline is the optimal solution most of the time.

Test my suggestion by using a small section of a project where a title has been added. Export once straight to m2v and again to a DV avi and export one more time to uncompressed avi.

Compress the two avi files to m2v using the exact settings used for the from the timeline m2v. Use your favorite player to A/B/C compare the m2v files and decide for yourself if one is better than the others.

This can be done pretty quickly as you only need 30 seconds or so of footage.

Please post your findings if you actually take me up on this suggestion.

Dave

Dave Friend
Co-Host Discrete Edit*ors COW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]