FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loudness of .Wav compared to .AC3

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob James
Loudness of .Wav compared to .AC3
on Mar 27, 2008 at 10:32:36 pm

Ok, interesting problem I'm encountering in DVDA 4.0. I don't know if this is a flaw in the software, or if compression is being done to audio, when rendering it to the AC3 format. I'm using the EXACT same wave in Vegas, as the background wave for Menu 1 in DVDA. In Vegas, I rendered the audio out to AC3 to Prepare for DVDA. In DVDA, the audio track, for the Menu 1, is still in .wav format. The problem is this, though they are both the exact same audio track, the one accompanying the video (AC3) is substantially lower in volume, then the Menu 1 audio track. This becomes a problem, when the video ends, and the menu background audio plays............though it's the same file, it's much louder! Making the product seem amateurish. This is a music video btw, and the audio is a crucial part of the production. I prefer the loud track of the .wav as opposed to the subdued AC3, if that makes any difference. Any direction is greatly appreciated!! I guess you will probably say that once the DVD is Prepared the .wav too will be rendered to AC3. True, but is there a way to preserve the loudness of the .wav file as opposed to the .AC3 file?

Return to posts index

George Wing
Re: Loudness of .Wav compared to .AC3
on Mar 27, 2008 at 10:53:03 pm

If you encode the audio to AC3 out of Vegas, do the following (I got this from other folks on the net who replied to the "low volume ac3 audio" question)

Encode the audio to AC3
Custom tab
On the first tab, set diag. norm to "-31"
On the last tab marked Preprocessing, set the Line Mode Profile and RF Mode Profile mode to "none"

Note: you can save this as a preset for future encodes.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Rob James
Re: Loudness of .Wav compared to .AC3
on Mar 28, 2008 at 12:14:10 am

Man, that's perfect George!! U Da Man!! Sounds so much better now...............thanks George! Now I'm wondering if the wave from the Menu 1 background will be too low, on the finished DVD? Because DVDA will be encoding that to AC3 in the Preparing phase, and you can't set Custom settings, the way I did in Vegas, in DVDA. Am I correct? I guess I'll have to burn a DVD to test that. I guess I could render that background audio to AC3 from within Vegas, before it even gets to DVDA, using the Custom settings? Pretty sure, that will work.............anyways, thanks so much for your help George!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]