FORUMS: list search recent posts

BAD DISCS?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Dansie
BAD DISCS?
on Mar 19, 2008 at 7:53:16 am

Please forgive me for cross-posting this. I posted it on DVD Studio Pro forum, but thought I'd get the most exposure possible. I am using Final Cut Studio 2.

I just finished a project and gave the master disc to my team whom QC'd the master on a number of players. The disc played fine, so we determined it was time to duplicate.

As we got through the 500 DVD's, they started randomly checking some discs again and they are now showing problems. On certain players there is a small digital "glitch" right at the first fade-up from black. Most players see the "glitch" just as blocks across the screen, but it keeps playing. On a few players, it is enough to crash the disc or trip it up for a moment. In some laptops, the disc skips and freezes randomly, in different places. In one player, it won't even play, just erroring out to a "BAD DISC".

This tells me that the duplication is bad but, we've been making DVD's and using our 3 different duplicators for a year and never had any problems. The master (and subsequent NEW masters that I made with Disk Utility) plays fine in all the players.

The media we use has been rock solid, it is Taiyo (or whatever). We've actually tried copying to two medias, the Taiyo and some old Maxells. I am not a fan of the Maxells, but we tried with the same results.

My only thoughts were that there could possibly be a bit-rate spike or weird encode issue on the master that somehow got worse when duplicated. Is this crazy talk? I just used the Best Quality 90 minute preset in Compressor I am re-compressing with a modified version of this that is CBR, just in case the bitrate spiked. I also copied the whole timeline into a NEW timeline, just for kicks.

Otherwise, I guess all three of our duplicators just happen to be going bad at this time, under a deadline! Of course, that is Murphy's law of production! I'm just wondering if anyone has any extra ideas for me.

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]