FORUMS: list search recent posts

Random modulo function on DVD players

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Lerman
Random modulo function on DVD players
on Mar 11, 2008 at 3:58:52 pm

Hi all,

I have made some dvd's that use the mod function to randomly shuffle 31 short story clips on a dvd. Well, of course it is faster on a computer than on a dvd player. But the question I have is this: Does it make sense to even use the 16 bit mod function for a DVD Player?

It seems to me that it takes longer to change stories than when, e.g. I set the mod function to a much lower random number. (I set the mod number to 93 for the 31 clips...)

When using the dvd played back on a computer, it seems ok to go with the 16 bit number (65, 536).

So, perhaps a parallel question is: are there players out there that really have a robust random # function?

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance....

R

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
Re: Random modulo function on DVD players
on Mar 11, 2008 at 7:20:39 pm

Hi Richard,

Players are notoriously weak with their random generating function.

If I may recommend, it's really much better to use the players built in Shuffle mode to randomly play the Title PGC's programs (with no repeats). No scripting / programming at all, and very fast navigation on computers and DVD players, since navigation doesn't have to seek the IFO file at the head of the VTS where your scripts are, after every segment plays. Also, the remote next and previous keys become operational, and they'll play the next random program - too cool. Up to 99 programs can be set up for Shuffle mode (a bunch of clips in the same Track demarcated 99 Markers).

You would need DVDAfterEdit to implement it, only thing. Here's a recent thread going over our tests several years ago to get this feature nailed down and 100% compatible:

http://www.dvdafteredit.com/node/1771

Since then, I've worked on all kind of ways to integrate this functionality into DVD SP builds, without having to reauthor the disc from scratch; basically authoring in DVD SP to receive the particular functionality once the shuffle mode is set up in the build after the fact (in DVDAfterEdit).

I'll have an article on this feature and some implementations with some examples somewhere soon, hopefully.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com
Entering 10 years of full-time, professional DVD Studio Pro troubleshooting and support
Lead the development of DVDAfterEdit (formerly named 'TFDVDEdit') - Divested 50% interest in Nov. 2005

Return to posts index

Richard Lerman
Re: Random modulo function on DVD players
on Mar 11, 2008 at 10:55:24 pm

Trai,

Thanks for reply..will look into it...

R

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]