FORUMS: list search recent posts

Line 21 captioning - Is Scenarist the only programme?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill in Toronto
Line 21 captioning - Is Scenarist the only programme?
on Mar 9, 2008 at 3:12:39 pm

I would like to know how I can originate Line 21 captioning for DVD authoring. I think Scenarist can add, but is probably beyond my budget. I currently edit in Premiere Pro CS3 and burn in Encore....

Any suggestions, please.

Thanks for your collective wisdom.

Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

George Wing
Re: Line 21 captioning - Is Scenarist the only programme?
on Mar 9, 2008 at 3:21:04 pm

Doesn't Encore allow you to add CC? At least Encore DVD 2.0 did -- I don't know for sure whether CS3 does...

DVD LabPro 2.x also allows you to add CC

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Bill in Toronto
on Mar 10, 2008 at 2:28:03 am

Hi George,

So nice to hear from you. I did look more closely at Encore CS3, and it indicates that SCC files can be used for closed captioning, but these have to be created "using a third party captioning application" exporting SCC files, and then "by assigning them to clips in a timeline, using the Video Clip Properties panel. Closed captions will synchronize with the source timecode of the video clips you assign to them." Evidently, the location timing of the "clips" has to be assigned in the third party captioning programme first.

Found a group of "Scenarist Tools" at http://www.geocities.com/mcpoodle43/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/VERSIONS.HTML

I only mention this because maybe someone else out there would like to add closed captioning to their product. Frankly, I thought the ADA Law mandated the provision of closed captioning. (Maybe just to governments.)

I remember that DVD Workshop subtitles can mimic the look of captioning, but I hope some day I can figure out how to do it for real myself.

Again, thanks for the lead, George.

Cheers,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Mar 10, 2008 at 1:25:32 pm

Encore CS3 will indeed do line 21 CC, but it is not a captioning system. We use an outside service for that, and SCCTOOLS mentioned above to manipulate the start times in the files.
The ADA does not "require" CC, but CC is one way to fulfill ADA requirements. I believe the FCC is requiring CC for certain broadcast programs, but that really isn't related to DVD authoring.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 13, 2008 at 4:00:07 pm

Software that can author caption-encoded DVDs that I am familiar with:

Sonic Scenarist 3.1
Sonic DVD Creator 2.17
Sonic DVDit ProHD 6.3
Apple DVD Studio Pro 4
Adobe Encore CS3

Note that all of these require the captions to be authored in a closed captioning program such as Caption Maker Pro, which exports an .scc file to be fed to the DVD authoring software.

Many companies, including ours, will author the captions and prepare the .scc file for you.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

George Wing
on Mar 14, 2008 at 12:10:37 pm

I did not think Sonic DVDit ProHD 6.3 had Closed Caption functionality. Since you are familiar with it, can you post some quick steps on how to add them in that software (I already have the scc files I want to add)?

Thanks,
George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]