FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scenarist - Application and Evaluation questions.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sloan Warner
Scenarist - Application and Evaluation questions.
on Mar 7, 2008 at 4:53:46 pm

Curious about how many people have invested in Scenarist HDMV. What is your workflow and timeline on a simple feature with 1 or 2 static menus? How many days it takes you ... the positives and negatives of the program.

Also, related ... anyone know if the 30 day eval that Sonic offers can create replication ready masters (no crippling etc). If any of the people that I work with spend time on an eval session, we're hoping the work produced isn't in vain (whether or not we purchase the app).

-S

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
Re: Scenarist - Application and Evaluation questions.
on Mar 7, 2008 at 5:21:48 pm

Sonic is pretty tough on evos. But even if you manage to get it, I'm not sure what kind of support they will provide you. Without support, I doubt you will be able to click your way through to a CMF. At any rate, there is a pretty steep learning curve on many aspects of BD production, not just authoring. There's encoding, graphic design and prep, QC, player testing, AACS, etc. You would need a lot of available resources to complete your first project in 30 days. Once you have a couple of projects under your belt, the process should take you 6-10 days depending on how many tasks your co. can handle concurrently.

Max
--
Blu-ray author/producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Sloan Warner
on Mar 7, 2008 at 5:34:28 pm

Hi Max - thanks for the reply.

No problem on the gear, QC, design etc. We're pretty deep into SD authoring and SD/HD broadcast + motion work. Resources (skill and equipment), we definitely have. The 6-10 day turnaround sounds about right ... that's what a reasonable SD project tends to take.

My big question is if the Eval version is uncrippled, able to get a replication ready CMF out. If I send someone on a project with the software, I want the end result to be usable whether we invest in sonic or not.

What kind of a setup are you running over there? Are you also using cinevision or have you opted for mainconcept or another 3rd party for encoding?

-S

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on Mar 7, 2008 at 6:15:46 pm

If you get it, it won't be crippled. It will just come with a dongle/activator code combo that will expire in 30 days. We're using MainConcept (same AVC encoding engine as CineVision) for now, and waiting for a reasonable hardware solution. One advantage of CineVision is noise/grain reduction, but the processing can take up to 2secs per frame, so I'm not sure how useful it is. We currently address grain/noise/gamma issues in a tape-to-tape DI environment.

Max
--
Blu-ray author/producer
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]