FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are U.S. DVD players able to play PAL DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ballerini
Are U.S. DVD players able to play PAL DVD?
on Mar 1, 2008 at 3:25:33 pm

Hello dear friends,

is there anybody who can tell whether DVD home players in the States are usually able to play (of course converting it to NTSC) a DVD that was made in PAL?

Thank you very much

David

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: Are U.S. DVD players able to play PAL DVD?
on Mar 1, 2008 at 3:51:03 pm

It used to be very few did that. But lately, I think more U.S. DVD Players will play PAL (and convert to NTSC output). Especially the "cheap" brands, or even the little "travel" DVD Players...

But for a broad distribution, I'd say you are safer to do a conversion and create a true NTSC DVD from your PAL DVD...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David Ballerini
on Mar 1, 2008 at 5:22:57 pm

Thank you George.

If you are from U.S. (or you use to work with U.S.) you may also be able to solve the other question I put in my former thread...

In fact, as you may have read, I have already tried two deliveries of this showreel, but none was working.

Both time the players they used to play the DVD displayed a region code error. We ended in thinking it was actually an issue of PAL/NTSC (and from this idea, here the present thread) cause both times the region 1 was checked...

The first disk had all the regions but 7 (Reserved) checked (so it was open region), the second disk had just region 1 checked.

So as to the region code they were both supposed to work in U.S.!

Any suggestion about the regions? Might there be some specific U.S. "habit"/"trick" that we don't know? Maybe something related, for instance, with region 7 (reserved) that here we use not to check...

Please let me know.
Thank you so much

David

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 1, 2008 at 5:41:14 pm

Few, if any U.S. DVD players will play a PAL disc. And even if they do, very very few U.S. TVs will display PAL. If you want a disc to play in the U.S. it needs to be authored as NTSC 29.97, 720x480 and at least Region 1 enabled.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 1, 2008 at 9:53:53 pm

The funny thing is cheaper players are more likely to play PAL but there are only a handful, would never want to release a PAL dvd in the US based on these few machines.

FWIW - I got one a long time ago $35 that even did converting, Played Pal DVDs to NTSC TV.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 1, 2008 at 11:35:48 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Few, if any U.S. DVD players will play a PAL disc. And even if they do, very very few U.S. TVs will display PAL. If you want a disc to play in the U.S. it needs to be authored as NTSC 29.97, 720x480 and at least Region 1 enabled."

If the NTSC DVD Player plays the PAL DVD, and converts it to NTSC output, then it really doesn't matter if the TV will play PAL.

Also, I'd invite you to create a PAL DVD, and bring it to your local electronics store with DVD Players on display. Ask if you can try your PAL DVD in them -- you might be surprised that there actually are players that will do the conversion. Especially the "cheap" brands as I stated earlier (and as Michael also confirmed).

Heck, I have 7 DVD players in the house, and 5 of them will play PAL Formatted DVD's. The 5 are: 2 from Apex, a LiteOn, and portable no-name brand and a memorex. The two DVD Players that will not are a Sony and a JVC.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David Ballerini
on Mar 2, 2008 at 12:39:15 am

...and in fact the players they are uding are all by Sony...

I guess we have really found the problem.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 3, 2008 at 7:07:58 am

This is not a Sony problem. Yes, while some DVDs are made so they can playback PAL DVDs, yes, more times then not they are cheaper models of players, yes some of these players convert the PAL standard to NTSC so they can be played on any NTSC TV.

This in no way says that they are common and widely used. If you need to spend your DVD to a small select group that you can say, just go out and buy X DVD player (or tell them to just play it on their computers), then you can entertain just sending your PAL DVD to the States. If you are trying to distribute your DVD to the public at large you should not even give this the remotest thought. 99% (or something close to that amount) of DVD players in US homes today CANNOT play PAL

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 4, 2008 at 1:58:19 am

Right the cheapo imports might but how do you put that to your client? Our disc *might* play on a $10 Funai or APEX disc player but not a Sony, Panasonic or JVC. That really inspires confidence, lol.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!

Return to posts index

George Wing
on Mar 4, 2008 at 3:39:17 am

Noah,

Someone asked if US DVD Players will play a PAL DVD. I answered that used to be very few, but lately the numbers have increased (I didn't know if he wanted to send to a friend and/or relative, etc...) -- and I clearly stated But for a broad distribution, I'd say you are safer to do a conversion and create a true NTSC DVD from your PAL DVD...

It's just like there are more DVD Players that play divx now (than compared to years ago). I'm not saying burn a divx movie to DVD, and send it to the states -- but if someone were to ask me if DVD Players can play divx, I would answer that it used to be very few, the numbers are growing, but for wide distribution, you need to create a more compatible disc.

Seems kind of harsh to me that you would be LOL at me...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 4, 2008 at 3:21:36 pm

Whoa George relax. LOL is like a chuckle at a party at a shared joke- nothing harsh about it. I'm great you're great. Ok thanks.

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]