FORUMS: list search recent posts

Measuring and Setting Dialnorm

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Asos
Measuring and Setting Dialnorm
on Feb 27, 2008 at 8:25:48 am

Was wondering if anybody could clear up some questions I had about dialnorm. I have read the thread on here about dialnorm and been reading up on it online but am still a bit confused. I am preparing a music video for braodcast submission to a music video channel that specifies that dialnorm be set to -24. There is a part during the video where there is dialogue, and it is ADR which I have edited in protools. This is just 40 seconds of dialogue. If i was to export the dialogue audio track track to check the LAeq in AudioLeak, would I just export a section of the audio to get the weighted average or would I export the whole duration of the track, even though that would bring down the LAeq.

How would this be done if I was doing this for a movie? Would it be the whole dialogue track or just a sample of it, because there may be sections during which there is nothing on the dialogue track but that would bring down the LAeq. Also what would one do it they had location sound which would include some folley or background noise? How could they get a proper dialnorm so as not to be rejected by a broadcaster?

How would I set the dialnorm if this was just a music video with no dialogue, would I use the audio track for dialnorm?

Also do I have to use a peak limiter to keep audio below -12 or is an audio compressor usually used to squeeze everything closer to avoid issues with peaks? (I have audio that has a lot of dynamic range from very low talking to yelling)

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first music video I don't want to run into quality control problems at the station.

I really appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer. I have been trying to figure this out for a while online and I can't seem to find the answers. Please let me know if you know any of the answers to the questions.

Thanks,

Tom

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Measuring and Setting Dialnorm
on Feb 29, 2008 at 1:38:30 am

In a nutshell you need to do this:

balance the audio of whatever you work on so that
the peak is -10db, its ok to briefly hit into -6
area, but overall it should max at -10

Thats an industry standard for audio with picture
for dvd and broadcast.