FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 encoding hardware

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
MPEG2 encoding hardware
on Feb 23, 2008 at 8:25:20 am

After production and post, our shop also duplicates an average of 500 or so DVD's of our final projects (NTSC and PAL but without regional code blocks). Our finished Masters are Digibeta PAL and til now we have been encoding (both PAL and NTSC transcodes) via hardware (MediaPress X MPEG encoder card) to create our DVD master disk. It's time to upgrade and I am researching other options and was wondering if anyone with similar workflows has any suggestions for other good quality encoding hardware. I prefer a hardware solution: 1) the quality is better 2) don't want to tie up editing stations with an encoding process. Would need SDI in option.
Any advice of great cards would be appreciated!

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: MPEG2 encoding hardware
on Feb 24, 2008 at 7:23:09 pm

Not sure what's still out there these days. I'd check with Sonic.com and see what they still have. Personally I use Compressor- it's faster than realtime typically and the quality is great. Plus it can use multiple machines on a network for even faster processing.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: MPEG2 encoding hardware
on Feb 24, 2008 at 7:59:07 pm

Why do you need to upgrade, is the card not working or not meeting your expectations? If that card is working I would just keep the system as a stand alone encoding station and encode the files on a firewire drive that can be moved to your new system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]