FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Artifact Oddities

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Scott
Compression Artifact Oddities
on Feb 15, 2008 at 8:49:37 am

I recently uprezed a project to an 8 bit uncompressed D1 timeline. There are portions of the video originally shot on DV that have lots of tight patterns (trees in a forrest, art work with lots o' lines). Of course these visuals aren't problematic before compression...after conversion to mv2 through Compressor using the best settings (2 Pass VBR, Motion Estimate-Best, 6.5 Avg. Bit, 7.7 Max. Bit) all those scenes with any kind of tight pattern of lines, objects, etc. turn into vibrating blocks o' noise.

Worse than mosquito noise, this is a swarm of mosquitos biting the heck out the picture! It's quite distracting. I didn't have this problem when the timeline was DV, 720x480. Any thoughts??

Would adding compression markers to the problem scenes in my FCP timeline help? I've been using Compressor since its birth and never encountered this. BTW I'm running the latest version. One more tidbit, instead of sending the project to Compressor from FCP, I exported a Quicktime and took that into Comp.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jeff

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Compression Artifact Oddities
on Feb 15, 2008 at 2:40:59 pm

Why did you uprez it? You won't make the picture anybetter with an uprez. Go with your original DV timeline and compress with that.

Return to posts index

Jeff Scott
on Feb 15, 2008 at 6:45:05 pm

I uprezed b/c of all the graphics and Beta-SP video that are also part of the project. If the project was solely DV I would've stayed with that native codec.

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Feb 15, 2008 at 9:03:37 pm

But your uprezing from a DV timeline. Once its in your timeline as DV..thats it...it will always be DV quality even if you uprez. Or am I missing something in your workflow? You could try compression markers. How long is the project? If its under an hour I'd go with a CBR encode around 6.3 or so...don't have a bitrate calc with me right now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]