FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best way to export an AppleProRes clip to a SD DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Noel Gomez
What's the best way to export an AppleProRes clip to a SD DVD?
on Feb 9, 2008 at 1:57:05 am

Hi all,

Just need some advice regarding exporting AppleProRes 422 to a SD DVD.
I have a 1440 x 1080 50i project exported using AppleProRes 422 and I need to output it into a SD DVD.
I'm using DVD Studio Pro and it seems the resolution isn't that good when I just let DVD Studio Pro do the conversion from the original .mov to an m2v for the DVD project.
Am I better off converting the AppleProRes 422 in compressor? If so what codec in compressor should I use? "MPEG-2, Elementary Stream"?

When I do the export in an HD DVD, it looks good but since I need it in a SD DVD, I'm pretty stumped, so any help would be great!

Thanks!
Dennis

Dennis Noel Gomez
In house video Editor
FourLeafFilms

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: What's the best way to export an AppleProRes clip to a SD DVD?
on Feb 9, 2008 at 6:17:44 am

MPEG-2 High quality preset- but be realistic coming from an HD ProRes Clip to an SD MPEG-2 clip is not going to look anything close to the same.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Noel Gomez
on Feb 9, 2008 at 6:26:20 am

Noah,

Thanks for the reply, so can you please tell me if I'm going about this the right way, since what I'm doing is:

-Exporting the Apple ProRes 422 movie from FCP using Export as Quicktime, current settings.
-Once I have that, I drag that movie into Compressor and convert it using the DVD presets, using the best quality m2v DVD setting in Compressor.
-From there I just drag the m2v into my assets in DVD SP.

I know it can't be the same quality and there's going to be resolution loss, but I just want to know if this is the best way of going about doing this.

Cheers

Dennis Noel Gomez
In house video Editor
FourLeafFilms

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 10, 2008 at 7:14:47 am

Yep that's about right.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color. Now featuring the HD Survival Guide!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Joel Granholm
on Feb 25, 2008 at 7:31:58 pm

If you have After Effects, I would suggest using that to down-convert to SD. In my experience, Compressor tends to overly pixelate interlaced footage when it down-converts, but After Effects does a very clean job. Just make sure you have the Separate Fields option set correctly in the Interpret Footage dialog and that you separate fields appropriately in the Render Settings. I would recommend rendering with ProRes, Lossless or Uncompressed.

Also, if you have chapter markers, I would duplicate your 1080i FCP sequence, delete the clips in the duplicated timeline, set the Sequence Settings to your target SD settings, then drop your After Effects render into the timeline. Then just export a reference QuickTime with DVD Studio Pro markers to drop into Compressor.

Return to posts index

Joel Granholm
on Feb 25, 2008 at 7:41:39 pm

If you have After Effects, I would suggest using that to down-convert to SD. In my experience, Compressor tends to overly pixelate interlaced footage when it down-converts, but After Effects does a very clean job. Just make sure you have the Separate Fields option set correctly in the Interpret Footage dialog and that you separate fields appropriately in the Render Settings. I would recommend rendering with ProRes, Lossless or Uncompressed.

Also, if you have chapter markers, I would duplicate your 1080i sequence, delete the clips in the timeline, set the Sequence Settings to your target SD settings, then drop your After Effects render into the timeline. Then just export a reference QuickTime with DVD Studio Pro markers to drop into Compressor.

-Joel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]