FORUMS: list search recent posts

download files from DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
animal_behaviors
download files from DVD
on Jan 26, 2008 at 9:24:33 am

Hi,

I'm authoring a music DVD which contains different options. You can watch videos from the artist, read information.....but she wants to include certain files(mp3,pdf) which should be downloadable to the user's computer. In other words, you should be able to click a button and get those files into your pc.is this possible? I work with Encore or DVD Architect.

thanks!!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: download files from DVD
on Jan 26, 2008 at 1:43:22 pm

The short answer is it may be possible based on your user's computer. Newer operating systems will not do this anymore because it required a paticular outboard DVD Player to do this. Basically its not guaranteed to work and may make you or your client look silly.

Thats why you don't see this anymore on discs you buy - too many incapability issues. The best way to do this would offer a menu stating what kind of "extras" are on the disc and direct the user to the root level. Place a folder next to the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS with your extras there.

Return to posts index

Guille Ibanez
on Jan 27, 2008 at 7:28:27 pm

thanks for the answer,

What kind of compatibility issues are you referring to? On any case I would like to know how could it be done so I can test it out as It is an important part of the DVD and it might be worth taking the risk.
Also, I've been reading that most of the biggest pieces of software like DVD Architect and Encore don't have the possibility to include web links, how could this be possible? it seems like quite a basic feature to have!!

thanks again!

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Jan 27, 2008 at 11:31:35 pm

It anything but basic. When DVD was thought up, engineers didn't include these option in the spec. Linking from a disc to an "outside" source needs a program to act as a "player". This is what programs like Interactual Player are for or DVD Access for the Mac. This is where compatability comes into play because Interactual player isn't supported in Vista.

There was a program call eDVD which allowed you to do this kind of authoring but it isn't supported anymore. You may find a copy on EBay.

Another tool is:

http://www.intellidisc.com/

It has a demo. Haven't tried it myself but then again I don't do this kind of authoring anymore. Too many sad clients in the past.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 28, 2008 at 5:42:41 pm

Hi Guille

I just found out this morning the new Interactual Player now supports Vista..

http://player.interactual.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]