FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting out of Avid for DVD...help...

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Courtney Shumway
Exporting out of Avid for DVD...help...
on Jan 20, 2008 at 10:12:34 pm

I've been authoring DVDs with DVDit Pro HD. The way I was shown to do this was by dropping in a QT. I've now realized that this is probably forcing my program to add another level of compression, and might be why the final product is coming out mediocre at best.

So this first question probably doesn't even apply, because it's looking like I should be using MPEGs, and get away from QTs altogether, but I really want to understand WHY. These QTs are being compressed with a H.264 codec, which, unless I am mistaken, is the same used to generate an MPEG-4. If the compression method is the same, but it's coming in a QT "wrapper" (I'm not even entirely sure what that means, but clearly it is separate from the actual compression...?) will my program still pass it through another level of compression?

Also, and probably more pertinent, in my research I have learned that H.264 is the most recent compression standard, but also that it is not universally supported by regular DVD players, however I don't know if this last bit of information is current. Can someone confirm this for me? Is MPEG-4 the new standard, or is MPEG-2 still the best choice for authoring a high quality DVD?

Someone please let me know - any help would be appreciated.

Courtney Shumway

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
Re: Exporting out of Avid for DVD...help...
on Jan 21, 2008 at 12:56:52 am

Courtney,

Your head is too cluttered with terminology you don't quite understand. You need to do more research - the information is all out there.

You're right though, h.264 (or avc) is the newer, more efficient codec. You're also right that it can be used on Blu-ray. DVDit however, only works with mpeg2 and will re-encode ANY other video file, even mpeg2s that were not created to BD spec. For you this means that you need to export your QT without compression. Since you're on Avid, QT reference file is your best friend.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]