FORUMS: list search recent posts

advancing through multiple tracks with different aspect ratios

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aiya3
advancing through multiple tracks with different aspect ratios
on Jan 18, 2008 at 12:03:46 am

I'm having this really annoying problem with advancing through multiple tracks. I have mpegs that are 16:9 and 4:3 so I put them all on their own tracks, 8 of them in total. My DVD menu gives the option of play all or chapter selection using buttons. When the viewer chooses play all, I want the dvd to play through each of the 8 tracks in the sequence that I determined by using target and end jump. This has all worked out fine, until I try to skip or jump backwards while simulating the play all feature. It would seem that DVD SP can skip forwards when using mutiple tracks but it won't skip backwards. Does anyone know how to do this?
thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

James O'Bryan
Re: advancing through multiple tracks with different aspect ratios
on Jan 18, 2008 at 4:08:25 pm

I should clarify this question: What I want the viewer to be able to do is skip forward and backward from one track to the next using the advance, next or chapter skip button on their remotes.
thanks,
James

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 18, 2008 at 4:43:03 pm

Hi James

The next and previous button were designed to skip chapters in a track not to skip tracks. To travel from one track to another the disc's laser must go to whats called the "VMG domain". No author can target different tracks directly no matter what tool your using. This one of those DVD laws which have frustrated authors for years.

I can understand the next function working because the next button see the end jump then the disc does its thing but to previous out of 1 Track to another is a different story.

E

Return to posts index

James O'Bryan
on Jan 18, 2008 at 5:36:17 pm

yeah, it's messed up. I've tried everything I can think of. I placed markers at the end of each track to use as cue points to skip forward and back, I've tried stories, markers at the top and tail of each track but nothing seems to fool the system. It just won't skip tracks basically. Frustrating. I'll have to letterbox all material and put it on one track. So for future reference then, I guess it's not a good idea to mix aspect ratio's in DVD SP or any DVD authoring software.
Thanks for you help, I appreciate it.
Cheers,
James

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 18, 2008 at 5:45:27 pm

The Letterbox plan is a good idea. Its fine to mix different aspect ratio but not if your going to need the next/previous functionality.

Return to posts index

james o'bryan
on Jan 18, 2008 at 11:53:16 pm

I just figured it out. I've been working on it all day and I finally found the work around to shift forward and back between tracks. Basically, you need to use 15 frame slugs and set chapter markers on those slugs to end jump to the next track and its respective marker. I'm not very good at explaining things but needless to say, it can be done by using slugs, markers and end jumping as an intermediate, to trick the dvd into skipping tracks forwards and backwards. Craziness. Anyway, thanks again for your help.
Cheers,
James.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 19, 2008 at 3:49:22 am

This works on a set top player? There always seems to be a work around :)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Trai Forrester
on Jan 23, 2008 at 4:49:19 pm

Hi James,

You're almost close :-)

The procedure for setting up next and previous remote functionality between Video Title Sets (Tracks), in any capable authoring system, has been defined for us by Specification. Basically we have to set up what's called 'multi-PGC Titles' for each Track (VTS).

The 'playing' Title PGC (in each Track) has settings that can determine what the 'next' and 'previous' target PGC (Program Chains) is. The pre commands in these target 'dummy' next and previous PGCs, receive navigation with the next or previous UOP, and route playback to a VMG PGC, where commands lie in wait to send the viewer to the next assigned Track (VTS Title PGC), as Eric said navigation from one Track to another cannot be direct, but must pass through the Video Manager (VMG).

DVD Studio Pro's Abstraction layer auto-programming sets this complicated new structure up for us, automatically, if we reveal the Advanced Connections View and choose to set the Next and Previous Jump settings for each Track.

No slugs are needed with this method, and it is much more reliable nexting and previousing between the Tracks in players out there. Only drawback to this method is the DVD Specification did not allow the display of running time on the players LED with the use of mult-PGC Titles, just in case that's important to this project.

Otherwise, the best method normally for setting up nexting and previousing between assets Eric mentioned, and which I've advocated for years, is encoding all the target assets into one Mpeg video and audio clip, separated by chapter, and placing them into a single Track.

However, since you have different aspect ratios, I wouldn't recommend all the clips go into a single Track; I would composite your 4:3 clips into a 16:9 frames and put them into their own Track and set the display for Pan and Scan, putting as many former 4:3 ciips together in each Track as your 'slideshow' order allows. This Pan and Scan setting will allow the 4:3 clips to display full screen on 4:3 TVs, instead of an inappropriate letterbox presentation (Only one display resolution setting allowed per VTS, so, you'd set the 16:9 clips for letterbox in their own Tracks, of course). Then set the the Next and Previous Connections settings for each Track.

For many years, I've advocated matching aspect ratios for everything on the disc, but the last few years I've banished altogether 4:3 asset residence on any DVD I'm allowed a say in (4:3 video stretches out wide to fill the screen on most players attached to big screens. Yuck).

Anyway, there's more to it, but hope you get the idea.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com
Entering 10 years of full-time, professional DVD Studio Pro troubleshooting and support

Return to posts index

james o'bryan
on Jan 23, 2008 at 6:38:11 pm

Wow! You really know your stuff. Your explanation went a little over my head at this point but I plan to keep that info and read more into it and learn. I'm a little green with the DVD authoring but the information you provided will really help me I'm sure. Thank you. And I agree, using one aspect ratio and one track is a much easier. Unfortunately, when you don't have control over what's being sent your way, you have to figure out a work around.
Cheers,
James.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]