FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to fit 1.5 hour concert on DVD (and still have it look good)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Cotterill
Trying to fit 1.5 hour concert on DVD (and still have it look good)
on Jan 16, 2008 at 6:07:14 pm

I'm trying to make an .mov out of Final Cut 6 of an hour and a half long concert. All of the settings I've tried that would make it look good are coming out with 6 to 9 GB .mov's, which of course won't fit on a DVD. I've tried MPEG-2 with Linear PCM and MPEG-2 with AAC and changing how often it keyframes. I've tried it with and without Compressor. Then I tried an H-264 and it rendered for hours and still said it had 5 hours to go. Is there any way to get a smaller file size that still looks good and get it to export in a shorter amount of time if possible? I have to get this to a client tonight so any help is appreciated. -Ali Cotterill

Return to posts index

Joe Colombatto
Re: Trying to fit 1.5 hour concert on DVD (and still have it look good)
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:55:22 pm

I imagine a 90 minute Quicktime movie from FCP, if dropped onto DVD Studio pro
(even at default settings) should fit on 4.7 GB disc once encoded. And should look pretty
good.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 17, 2008 at 4:54:23 am

You do realize that a lot of the formats you are trying are not compatible with DVDs. DVD are only m2v video (mpeg2) with PCM or ac3 audio.

If you use PCM audio you have to encode the m2v at 5 Mbps (average if using VBR) or 6.5 if you use ac3.

Concert DVDs are worth PCM audio if it has been professionally mixed and mastered but most of the time ac3 does just fine and it gives you extra bitrate for the video.

Either way you go, export to compressor from FCP and use the 90 Best for the encode if you want to do that but I would try making a new preset with the CBR setting at 6.5 and encode the audio to ac3 and see if you like what you see and hear.

I never recommend doing the encoding in DVDSP.

Return to posts index

Ali Cotterill
on Jan 17, 2008 at 10:09:48 am

Thanks everyone for the help on bit rate. I got it to work and it looks and sounds great. -Ali

Return to posts index

Ali Cotterill
on Jan 17, 2008 at 10:10:04 am

Thanks everyone for the help on bit rate. I got it to work and it looks and sounds great. -Ali

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]