FORUMS: list search recent posts

DLT on Pro Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Sebeck
DLT on Pro Mac
on Jan 14, 2008 at 9:22:12 pm

I'm getting back into the DVD authoring game, after a couple year absence from serious authoring. Back in the day I authored hundreds of DVDs on a Scenarist running on an old G4. Since then I have been creating DVDs with DVDStudioPro, and since they weren't for Hollywood use, the compression and authoring sufficed.

So now my current employer is trying to get some DVD jobs, and they are turning to me as the expert. We have a digital Rapids encoder, so I am confident with my encodes, and I feel like DVDStudioPro is capable in the authoring. We have a DLT drive, but now that I have a dual dual core Mac Pro, Ineed to get a SCSI card to hook it up.

I was reading that the MacPro's are having problems with DLTs so I wanted to see if anyone else is having thaat problem. I have also been out of the replication game for a while - so are replicators now accepting hard discs for delivery? or do they still request DLTs?

Thanks for the help!

-Rick

Return to posts index

ken hon
Re: DLT on Pro Mac
on Jan 14, 2008 at 10:13:07 pm

Aloha,

It's a roll of the dice evidently with the MacPro's.

Here is what Apple says:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304936

I can tell you it works fine with a G5 quad and an ATTO SCSI card.

I'm not sure how well using discs to master works these days. We tried it a couple of years ago and found we had about 1% returns, unacceptable. DLT tape masters almost no returns. That said we are doing single sided DVD and it seems there may be some additional issues writing out the 2 DLT tapes needed for double sided. Best to talk to your replicator and see what they say.

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]