FORUMS: list search recent posts

G5 And Blu-Ray

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
infohou
G5 And Blu-Ray
on Jan 13, 2008 at 6:11:10 pm

Hello Folks,

I am trying to clean off my dvrs and make Blu-Ray discs that my PS3 will play. I have a a Panasonic sw-5582 from OWC which seems to be a good machine. I bought a package with Toast 8 included. As y'all probably know, Toast does not AUTHOR but it will BURN. With the latest PS3 update I can put video in the root of a BD-RE and it will play. I won't bore you with details unless you ask but I am having issues with combining H.264 and 5.1 so I am using MPEQ2 for my HD burns. Using Episode (not Pro) for encoding as it is supposedly faster than Compressor. I also have the original Final Cut Studio.

The problem is that the PS3 has trouble with high bitrate videos even thought it plays Blu-Ray movie discs beautifully. So I am searching for an under 1k$ US authoring tool that will do Blu-Ray on a G5. Keep in mind Encore will only run on Intels. I am waiting for the big processor shift from Intel later in the year before I upgrade the G5. Anybody know of a G5 authoring tool for Blu-Ray even if unsupported/Alpha/Beta?

Hopefully The Computer Rockstar will make the search moot Tuesday by announcing DVDSP support for Blu-Ray but I am not holding my breath.

Have some fun,
Robert

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: G5 And Blu-Ray
on Jan 14, 2008 at 7:15:54 am

I'd like to here some details of your workflow :) So your using Toast to write data to BD-RE and it plays back on the PS3?

Not so sure about BD but HD DVD has problems with higher bitrates as well but I've only tested on red laser media. I figured it might be similar situation.

Encore is the only MAC BD authoring tool in the universe as far as I know :) The only affordable BD authoring tools are Encore (mac) and DVDit Pro(PC). Other than that, it's the Stratosphere. Although there is a company called Netblender which will be offering a BD tool soon:

http://www.netblender.com/

And I'll bet anyone there will be absolutely no BD support in DVDSP this year :) I'm hoping though.

Return to posts index

Max Kovalsky
on Jan 14, 2008 at 1:25:55 pm

Netblender will only do BD-J. Even though it will have a GUI, I doubt anyone without Java experience will able to author with it out of the box.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 14, 2008 at 3:51:03 pm

Netblender will only do BD-J. Even though it will have a GUI, I doubt anyone without Java experience will able to author with it out of the box.

Why not put basic authoring capability in it?

Robert

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 14, 2008 at 3:49:07 pm

Yep, and I failed to mention that some of the smaller files that are 25-30Mbs play fine if I copy them to the PS3's hard drive but do not play from a DVD or Blu-Ray data disc. Some of the high bitrate stuff will start playing then stop. Fills a buffer I suppose. Interesting that it has no trouble with AUTHORED discs. Particularly after the last update the PS3 can play quite a few media types and you can feed it from a computer over a wired or wireless network as well as memory sticks, external drives, and optical discs.

Of course The Computer Rockstar will hopefully announce the next version of Apple TV that will dl HD content from the iTunes Store.

Really, I think they will announce soon if not tomorrow. It would appear after Warner's announcement that the war is over.

I appreciate the reply,
Robert:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]