FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9 Authoring troubles with XL2 to the Sony VRD-MC5

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Stout
16:9 Authoring troubles with XL2 to the Sony VRD-MC5
on Jan 7, 2008 at 3:39:06 pm

My setup: Canon XL2 connected via RCA cables to a Sony VRD-MC5 DVD Recorder (no computer inbetween.) My XL2 is set to 24P (2:3, NOT the 2:3:3:2 advanced pulldown) and 16:9 aspect ratio.
I record live footage while simultaneously burning a disc. I need to finalize and hand the disc to my client within 10 minutes after the shoot.

What I'm trying to do: Record footage in 16:9 so that when played back on a 4:3 monitor it will "Letterbox". Currently the DVD's I record and finalize this way display fine when viewed back on a 16:9 monitor, or on any computer, but when played back on a normal DVD player to a 4:3 TV monitor, it crops the image on both the left and right sides.

Question: Is it possible to record the disc live as I'm currently doing it through the Sony VRD-MC5, and NOT finalize it? Then insert that unfinalized disc to my computer and finalize it through another 3rd party program that could set the 16:9 letterbox settings correctly? (like DVD Studio Pro or iDVD?) I'm not completely familiar with DVD technology, so I'm not sure if that would work. Even if it did, I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

I have searched through all the settings in the Sony VRD-MC5 and read the manual with no help. The only thing I've found in the manual was this statement on p.28 "When dubbing the 16:9 pictures (pictures shot with the camcorder's setting set to 16:9) via the DV IN, VIDEO IN, or S VIDEO IN jack on the DVDirect, set the TV type setting on the camcorder to 4:3."
The problem is that the Canon XL2 records native 16:9, and there is no way to set the "TV type" to 4:3. Am I screwed or is there something I'm not thinking of here?

Thanks.

- Aaron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]