DVD Conundrum

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Armstrong
DVD Conundrum
on Jan 1, 2008 at 12:04:08 am

Hello,

Here's my problem.
I've shot a film in PAL format (25fps) and I have edited it and am ready to encode it do DVD (let's assume i'm completely ready to output a final DVD). Now I have never filmed in PAL before and I'm unsure if I can author a NTSC film at 25fps or do I have to compress to 24? When I compressed it to 24fps in FCP 5.1.4 my film was choppy.

So can I leave it at 25fps or is there a better way to get it to 24 without it getting all choppy?

Thank you for any help.

Mike

"Rage against the Dying of the Light"

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Conundrum
on Jan 1, 2008 at 1:23:10 am

There is more to PAL/NTSC than frame rate, frame size and maybe field order. My recommendation would be to get Natress's filter to convert it. It is reasonably priced and does a very good job.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Jan 2, 2008 at 9:11:16 pm

Sorry for my ignorance Michael, but what else is there besides frame-size and frame-rate that's different (audio issue aside)?

I've had many clients who have supplied 29.97 NTSC converted right in FCP from 25, and besides a few audiophiles who complain about the slight alteration of audio this causes, I haven't had any issues. Your problem is that you're converting to 24 fps, when NTSC rate is 29.97.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 3, 2008 at 5:03:49 am

Actually going to 24P should be easier and cleaner than going to 29.97. there are conversion in Compressor and the audio should be better also.

I have never been happy with using FCP to convert anything so I use compressor and just plan for the time.

The other concern is field order PAL has upper on everything but PAL DV (I'm pretty sure about that)

All these things can add up and programs that have better algorithm tend to do a better/cleaner job, but in the end if you can do it within FCP and you and your clients are pleased with the results, I'm not saying it is the wrong way of doing it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]