FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replication problems - bad check disc

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JumpCut Ed
Replication problems - bad check disc
on Dec 28, 2007 at 5:44:13 pm

I also posted this in the DVD Studio Pro forum.

I sent a DVD-R off to a replicator with CSS flagged, and now the check disc is not playing for the client. Here is their message sent to me...
_________
When I received the check copy there was nothing their to open and we saw the following messages

Ext. that is recog by window media player
NSC-Layer O

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
Re: Replication problems - bad check disc
on Dec 28, 2007 at 5:48:25 pm

Yes, it matters where the image is. It should be in the root of the disc, not in the layer 0 folder.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Dec 29, 2007 at 3:45:06 pm

Sounds like the replicator simply made a glass master of your disc instead of processing the DDP files and creating a master from the disc image contained therein. So, basically they made perfect copies of the DDP files.

The DDP files do not have to be on the root of the disc although it is good practice to do so. IMO, the person who processed your disc at the mastering facility was asleep at the wheel. They clearly did not bother to look at the disc's contents. Or if they did, they are not trained well enough to recognize and understand what the presence of a Layer0 folder full of .DAT files implies.

Was the disc clearly marked as containing a DDP file set? And was the rep facility told that you were sending DDP files?

Dave

Dave Friend
Co-Host Discrete Edit*ors COW

Return to posts index

JumpCut Ed
on Dec 29, 2007 at 4:51:23 pm

[Dave Friend] "Was the disc clearly marked as containing a DDP file set? And was the rep facility told that you were sending DDP files? "

Thanks Dave,
Yes, the disc was labeled, "DVD Master for Replication - Contains Layer0 data. CSS enabled." I think the problem may have been my choice of words "DVD Master for Replication". If the tech running the job didn't check the disc and just duplicated, the client would end up with errors.

Since this is my first job that has gone for replication, and the first with CSS, we have had a few bumps in the road. It's nice to know that this bump wasn't entirely my fault.

Ed

Return to posts index

JumpCut Ed
on Jan 2, 2008 at 3:29:54 pm

OK, Another question.

Can I create a copy-protected DVD with a Video_TS folder ready for replication?

From what I understand, copy-protected DVD's for replication can only be created through the DDP file process. That means that the replicator must apply a "mastering process" to the files before a glass master is created.

I am being told my a replicator that in the past, they have received discs from clients that are copy protected and ready for replication. Is this possible? Can I burn these type of discs with DVD Studio Pro and a built in burner?

Ed

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jan 2, 2008 at 7:31:06 pm

Ed,

No, there is no way to submit a VIDEO_TS and have the CSS added.

[JumpCut Ed] "am being told my a replicator that in the past, they have received discs from clients that are copy protected and ready for replication. Is this possible?"

I don't believe this is true. Being able to copy (master being the same thing) a copy protected disc is a non-sequitur. What is the point of copy protection if is can be copied?

Dave

Return to posts index

JumpCut Ed
on Jan 2, 2008 at 8:26:41 pm

.[Dave Friend] "Being able to copy (master being the same thing) a copy protected disc is a non-sequitur. What is the point of copy protection if is can be copied? "

Exactly, Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Jan 2, 2008 at 9:05:53 pm

There is however Qflix - a system developed by Pioneer and Sonic that allows to burn CSS-protected discs.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bown/2007/homeent/item_73.html

It's not yet mass-market and may never become, but it is possible.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]