FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow Suggestions

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BenyzBoy25
Workflow Suggestions
on Dec 24, 2007 at 2:41:26 am

Hello,

I have a unique situation that I'm looking for some suggestions about.
I'm attempting to backup my entire VHS tape library to DVD.

I've purchased a Plextor ConvertX (DVR PX-TV402U-NA) to capture from VHS onto my Mac Pro. The Plextor ConvertX captures the files as .mpg (MPEG-1)

I also have MPEG Streamclip to convert the .mpg files to NTSC-DV for editing in Final Cut Pro.

The goal is to edit in FCP, use Compressor to create assets and author a DVD in DVD Studio Pro.

Most of the clips I'm looking to add to my DVD are 3 hours long. After using Compressor I'm getting a file of about 10GB for the 3 hour clip.

My settings are something like this:
Mode - 2Pass VBR Best
Motion Estimation Best
Average Bit Rate: 6.5
Max Bit Rate: 8.0
GOP Structure: IBP Size: 7
Audio: Dolby Digital

Any suggestions on Compression methods I can use to get this file around 7GB?

I authored the DVD with the 10GB file and attempted to knock it down to 8GB using DVD2OneX...however it said that my VIDEO_TS folder was invalid? Why would that be? Is there a file size limit for your VOB files? Can a VIDEO_TS folder not exceed a certain file size?

Thanks in advance :)

Ben Brodbeck

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Workflow Suggestions
on Dec 26, 2007 at 7:58:17 am

That maybe the hardest way of doing that.

Your device can encode mpeg2 so why are you not get using that instead of going to mpeg1 then dv then mpeg2.

So you are trying to fit 3 hours on a DVD+R DL which is 8.5 gb
5.8 Mbps for video (CBR or VBR average) and ac3 audio at .192Mbps will fit.

NEVER mess with the GOP structure, for NTSC it should be 15, Closed!

All that said, why do you have 3 hours to put on a DVD? Most VHSs are under 2 hours? Personally I would by a DVD-Record and burn in real time to that and be done with it.

Return to posts index

BenyzBoy25
Re: Workflow Suggestions
on Dec 26, 2007 at 4:58:59 pm

Thanks for your input.

I have decided to get the Canopus ADVC110 so I can capture directly to DV-NTSC.
I appreciate your compression suggestions.

My 3-hour tapes are old Boxing Pay-Per-View events. I'd like to archive them...I'd also like to put chapter markers in specific spots and make menus for them. That's why I'm not going straight to a DVD-Recorder.

Forgive my ignorance...I see you stressed the GOP structure at 15 by putting never in all caps. Can you explain that to me? I'm not challenging your suggestion, rather I'm interested to know why that is.

Thanks again!

Ben Brodbeck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]