FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL DVD from a NTSC FCP/DVDSP project.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tastyinc
PAL DVD from a NTSC FCP/DVDSP project.
on Dec 17, 2007 at 5:54:13 pm

i need to produce a pal dvd for a client from a ntsc FCP/DVDSP project.

first guess was just flip the switch in the dvdsp disc inspector... reimport assets and go... doesn't work. my audio is good but .mp2 files are 'not compatible'. i think i have to recompress but, to what standard? is pal dvd not .mp2? what compressor setting is correct? DV PAL? is that a DVD compression?

thanks in advance for your help.

-andy

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: PAL DVD from a NTSC FCP/DVDSP project.
on Dec 18, 2007 at 6:41:50 pm

You need to convert your video to PAL and then encode it as PAL MPEG-2. You cannot change the disc type to PAL and then use NTSC assets. The frame rate and frame size won't work.

FWIW approximately 75% of DVD players and television sets in the PAL world can play an NTSC DVD. A small percentage of that number will display the picture as black & white.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

tastyinc
on Dec 19, 2007 at 2:28:35 pm

OK, so i use compressor. i select mpeg2 and switch NTSC value to PAL. what audio setting should i use? in a quick test, the audio track ends up a little but longer than video.

also, how can i test this disc if at all? i need a PAL system, right?

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Dec 19, 2007 at 4:59:31 pm

I'm not sure that compressor will do a standards conversion, but you can try it and see how far you get. Some people use after effects or various software plug-ins.

Easiest way to check a PAL DVD is to get one of those $39 Cyberhome DVD players that Best Buy sells. It will play a PAL DVD into an NTSC TV (it actually does a standards conversion in the player).

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]