FORUMS: list search recent posts

bit rate calculation

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marguu
bit rate calculation
on Dec 7, 2007 at 3:47:51 pm

I also posted this in the dvdsp forum.

I'm authoring my first dvd. I know this has been addressed before, but I can't find the exact answer I need. My program is very large, probably 3+ hours of video. I will be outputting to a dual layer dvd. In calculating the bit rate, do I calculate the video and audio separately? ie; if I have 60 minutes of video tied to audio, do I calculate 120 minutes? Or 60? I know I need to calculate separate audio (like music) in addition to the A/V.

Also, I am editing on FCP, should I import through compressor? Or a by reference movie? I've done small tests as a by reference movie and it looks fine, but I am only testing in 10 minute segments.

One more question. Can I apply a different bit rate to different segments? Like give a higher bit rate to the feature and lower on the extras?

Thanks in advance!

Lynne

Return to posts index

Alessio Gemma
Re: bit rate calculation
on Dec 9, 2007 at 8:21:50 pm

[marguu] "I'm authoring my first dvd. I know this has been addressed before, but I can't find the exact answer I need. My program is very large, probably 3+ hours of video. I will be outputting to a dual layer dvd. In calculating the bit rate, do I calculate the video and audio separately? ie; if I have 60 minutes of video tied to audio, do I calculate 120 minutes? Or 60? I know I need to calculate separate audio (like music) in addition to the A/V."

Hi, of ourse you've to calculate the disk space needed to record audio and video (and graphics if there is, for example a motion menu or something like that): if you work on a MAc, download this widget to calculate bit rate/disk space.

[marguu] "Also, I am editing on FCP, should I import through compressor? Or a by reference movie? I've done small tests as a by reference movie and it looks fine, but I am only testing in 10 minute segments."

You have to EXPORT from FCP to Compressor directly, not using QuickTime export: if your target is a DVD, you need to encode your clip in MPEG2.. so, do it exporting to Compressor directly.

[marguu] "One more question. Can I apply a different bit rate to different segments? Like give a higher bit rate to the feature and lower on the extras?"

Yes, you can.

Alessio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]