FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD printer, again

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
DVD printer, again
on Dec 5, 2007 at 8:16:35 pm

I'm throwing away my third dead or dying Epson (this one is an R300). It makes pretty DVDs, but has been very frustrating, slow, & expensive in terms of ink cartridges. It is always an adventure to see whether the printed DVD will have a smudge on it.

The dedicated DVD printers are crazy expensive. But I may be ready for one, if I can find one that is somewhat reasonable in cost. Suggestions are welcome!

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: DVD printer, again
on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:04:41 pm

For thermal printers, there's Rimage Everest and Teac. Both work well and are expensive. A less expensive option is a Rimage Prism with color ribbon. That printer does full color, but it is halftoned like the color images in the newspaper. Look at a print sample before buying. If you aren't doing high volume, you can buy just the printer and add the robotics later on all of these units.

I don't care much for any of the inkjet printers except for very small jobs (a few discs). But my shop does tons of DVD-R duplication and color printing, so I use industrial-strength machines.

I look at disc printers all the time at NAB. I haven't found anything satisfactory between the two extremes of the cheap inkjet printers and the expensive thermal printers.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
thanks
on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:11:11 pm

Thank you Bill. I'm going to get another cheap ink-jet printer, knowing in advance its limitations. When a great dedicated CD printer at a reasonable price comes out, I'll be ready.

I appreciate the specific recommendations -- and the validation of my deciding to buy another Epson (R380 this time) despite not liking the printer that much.

Bob

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]