FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinemacraft SP2 Question

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
geo
Cinemacraft SP2 Question
by
on Nov 14, 2007 at 8:36:08 pm

I'm going to build a strictly encoding system with Cinemacraft SP2 in mind. Will there be any difference in performance between an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (2.6ghz) or a Intel Core 2 Quad processor (2.6ghz) or (3.0ghz). I have gone on cinemacraft website and there is no mention of quad support, but maybe wondering if they may not of updated their site. Does anyone have this program and shed some light on this? Thank You

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Cinemacraft SP2 Question
on Nov 14, 2007 at 9:15:41 pm

So far out of date, wonder if it's worth their price with so many other encoders out there.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, Apple Color and now the HVX200!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Nov 14, 2007 at 10:20:57 pm

This is just my opinion but there is, most definetely, is a distinct difference between the SP and other software encoders. It all depends if you have the cashflow to pay for it. Also depends on how demanding your clients or you are.

Return to posts index

geo
by
on Nov 14, 2007 at 11:05:07 pm

Yes, it will be running all day. We have the cashflow for this but we don't want to be spending more for hardward encoders. I have done comparisons with many software encoders and CCE SP2 looks the best. I just wonder if the new cpu's will add any performance or if the program will even recognize it.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Nov 15, 2007 at 12:24:32 am

We run the Basic version quite a lot on a two CPU dual core system. Just a little older than the quad core CPUs. If you look at the Task Manager CCE is clearly using 3 of the cores. So it is definitely written as a multi-threaded app.

In general it processes at about real time. Sometimes a wee bit faster than real time depending on the codec of the input file. Even at that, task manager seldom shows a CPU utilization above 15%. It usually bounces around the 8% to 12% range.

I suspect that most of the time goes to disk reads and memory reading/writing and not the actual number crunching that does the encoding.

One advantage the quad core allows is for CCE to do it's thing while I use Photoshop or Scenarist to do other work at the same time. Everything appears to run full speed ahead.

Get the quad core.

Dave

Dave Friend
Co-Host discrete editors COW

Return to posts index

geo
by
on Nov 15, 2007 at 9:42:42 am

Thank you friend, i will certainly aim for the quad. :)

Return to posts index

Ryan Jackson
on Nov 20, 2007 at 7:16:29 pm

Sorry to bust in here...looking for my long lost friend, Dave.

Sincerely,

Ryan J

MP Alumni

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Nov 26, 2007 at 1:07:27 pm

Hi Ryan,

Yes, you found your old friend Dave. What's an old audio guy doing lurking around a DVD authoring forum? Drop me an email
davef [at] davefriend[dot]com

Dave

Dave Friend
Co-Host Discrete Edit*ors COW

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 19, 2007 at 4:02:31 pm

Wasn't suggesting it's not worth the money just that IMHO you get equal or better encoding for less with other encoders.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, Apple Color and now the HVX200!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Nov 15, 2007 at 3:52:06 pm

I agree with Dave -- the speed of your drives is as important, if not more than the processing speed. When shopping around for PC, make sure to get one that has a built-in SATA (with at least 4 ports) or SCSI RAID controller. Reading from one stripe and writing to another will boost your performance by as much as 50%, possibly more.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]