FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Content to SD DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jordan82
HD Content to SD DVD
on Nov 11, 2007 at 8:03:23 pm

I'm currently working with 1080i 29.97 HD content and attempting to make an SD DVD. The content was originally shot in DVCPRO HD in the 24pA format. I'm editing in FCP 6, encoding in Compressor 3, and authoring in DVDSP 4. My workflow is as follows:

From the FCP timeline, I export my DVCPRO HD 1080i sequence using Compressor. I'm selecting the "Best Quality" preset, except that I'm also turning frame controls "on," setting scaling to "better," and choosing "reverse telecine" (this is intended to remove the advanced pulldown and restore my original 23.98 fps timebase). The result is an NTSC 23.98 MPEG-2 file.

Unfortunately, I've noticed that any text (such as titles) or graphics in my DVD look terrible! All text (and animated menu backgrounds) were encoded from a 1920x1080 8-bit uncompressed 29.97 sequences, however, even with the frame controls set to "better" in Compressor, the results are totally unacceptable - worse even than encoding from mere DV! (Note that for menus I am not selecting "reverse telecine" because the menu backgrounds were not originated with any advanced pulldown).

A 5 minute HD sequence takes my computer (Dual-G5) approximately 15-20 hours to encode to MPEG-2, and I'm running up against a deadline! Is there something that I'm missing in my workflow in order to successfully encode HD content for SD DVDs?

- Jordan

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HD Content to SD DVD
on Nov 14, 2007 at 9:19:15 pm

I'd make it all into an HQ HD 1080i ProRes first, then move that down to SD.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, Apple Color and now the HVX200!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]