FORUMS: list search recent posts

Desktop dvd into plasma tv

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
skauty
Desktop dvd into plasma tv
on Nov 9, 2007 at 11:18:17 pm

First off, I apologize if this is not the right forum for this question but here goes.

We have a client who wants a DVD of their services to run on a plasma screen in their lobby. We're using After Effects and most likely Premiere for the video. The kicker is they want a live feed of their stock price and latest news running along the bottom (similar to what you would see on CNN).

Obviously, this disqualifies using a simple dvd and set-top box setup, since we'll need a live internet connection, and they're not in a position to purchase a live broadcast suite. They also don't want to sacrifice any video quality, so running a streaming Flash video with a live RSS feed from a desktop won't work either.

Anyone have any suggestions? My only idea so far is to author a dvd, run it off a desktop which is hooked up to the plasma, pull up the bottom of the window a bit, and then run a separate Flash app underneath the video with live feed. My concerns though are that the video quality might not be as good running straight off a desktop, and that we'll probably have a visible window around the on-screen dvd player. Any help would be much appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something obvious? Thanks.

Return to posts index

msacci
Re: Desktop dvd into plasma tv
on Nov 10, 2007 at 6:44:50 pm

There are video switcher would "cut up" the screen for the different feeds. You would need a different feed for each element. The DVD could come from a DVD player and then the Stock prices from a computer.

Return to posts index

skauty
on Nov 11, 2007 at 2:39:53 pm

Thanks alot. Any idesas where I could find these switchers, brand names, etc?

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Nov 11, 2007 at 3:04:15 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/418129-REG/Datavideo_SE_500_PAL_SE_50...

This one is the most economical solution, and does what you need -- picture-in-picture. Depending on how long you need it, you may be better off renting one.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

skauty
on Nov 11, 2007 at 4:34:56 pm

Thanks for the info everybody. This looks like it might do the trick (SE500 NTSC version though). I don't think it will be cost prohibitive to purchase one. That being said, is there any major problems to setting it up the way I explained in my post, by running both the dvd and the live news feed off the desktop into the plasma. I haven't done any testing so far so I don't know if my concerns are valid. I know this is a bit of a duct tape solution, and I think the switcher is the way to go, but clients are always worried about extra costs. Just so I can say I've explored all options and this is the only viable one. Thanks.

Return to posts index

msacci
on Nov 11, 2007 at 7:56:21 pm

you cannot do it from the same computer, you need two sources, but for the DVD Video you can use a standard DVD player.

You need to check the switcher above carefully, You need some way of getting a computer feed into it. Something like the Matrox MXO takes the DVI from the computer and turns it into a video stream.

Also you need to be able to crop this image coming from the computer since you would not want the entire image. PIP is a different from a graphic overlay.

I think this is a pretty hard thing to do on the cheap.

Is there a link to the live news feed you want to use, I would be interested in seeing how that is coming through

There maybe video cards that can combine these things but you need to stop thinking DVD and would just use a QT movie on the hard drive. I don't know of any off hand.

Return to posts index

tangentidea
on Nov 12, 2007 at 5:51:43 pm

Another option is to use VLC (videolan.org) to run the video off of a computer, and configure it to show an RSS feed ticker in the display. It'll also let you customize text style, size, etc.

Obviously, it would require a computer an internet connection, but it's likely far more economical than getting a video mixer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]