FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to make copies of DLT sets with DVD After Edit

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
msacci
Trying to make copies of DLT sets with DVD After Edit
on Oct 23, 2007 at 3:56:49 pm

The project I'm needing to do is to make back up copies of DLTs, both DVD-5s and DVD-9s. The original DLTs have CSS. I can copy them to a hard drive as Tape Image or Disk Folder with no problems. The problem is copying them to new DLTs. I get an error every time I try to write the tape image back and the program quits immediately after hitting start on the copy Video TS tries.

Now if I try to play the Video TS with DVD player on the Mac, the folders loads just fine, Menu with audio plays fine but when I play a video track the video is fine but the audio is all distorted, weird pulsing static. If I burn a disc I get an error as soon as I go into the video track, invalid encryption or something like that.

Has anyone heard or experience of audio being scrambled on the DLT itself? These are authored in England (I'm in the states) but they are NTSC projects. Audio is LPCM when I open the VIDEO TS in DVDAE.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
Re: Trying to make copies of DLT sets with DVD After Edit
on Oct 23, 2007 at 4:26:57 pm

I remember the guys from After Edit responding to just the same post a while ago. I believe you have to strip CSS first from your image, and then reapply it with AE. I'd recommend sending support an email though - they're very responsive.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

msacci
on Oct 23, 2007 at 4:32:17 pm

I have been going back and forth with Larry at DVDAE, he has been helpful, takes forever to troubleshoot DLT issues.

I just wanted to see if anyone has heard of assets actually being scrambled on the DLT and not just flagged (which is normally what is done on a DLT) and in this case it is just the VTS's audio all the video is fine.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Oct 23, 2007 at 4:58:41 pm

2054 image flagged for CSS is also partially scrambled. This must be what you're experiencing. I think Gear Mastering can help you remove the flag and convert to 2048.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

msacci
on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:28:28 pm

Is this what you are talking about?

Source storage mode: 1 (2054 bytes)
(From DVDAE log)

Return to posts index

msacci
on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:42:32 pm

or are you talking about

1084 CGMS: Content copyrighted, May never be copied, DVD Video Protection System (CSS)

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Oct 23, 2007 at 6:16:52 pm

It's both - the image has 2054 sectors (DVD-R are 2048, that's why you can't burn), and the CGMS is the flag.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Oct 23, 2007 at 7:14:13 pm

I think your best bet is to run the vobs through a ripper, which will strip them of the CSS flag and convert the files to 2048 sectors, then load the vobs into AE, reset the flag and go out to tape.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

msacci
on Oct 23, 2007 at 8:14:03 pm

that kind of defeats the idea of making safety backups, if I go stuff like that I take on a lot of responsibility.

But I did try to rip a Video TS folder I made from the tape and it will allow me to demux the video but not the audio.

Also the 2054 from what I gather is what DLTs should be, so there is no reason to convert them to something that is DVD-R compatible since I don't need DVD-Rs, but I can make them but once again the vts' audio is the only thing that is screwed up.

if I sound like I'm arguing with you, I don't mean to, this is helping me go through the process and I appreciate it. it is just frustrating and weird, I wish I could here one person that has seen this audio issue besides me.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Oct 23, 2007 at 10:16:26 pm

The best ripper to use is DVD Shrink. You can set it to leave everything alone and only remove CSS - don't remove user ops, etc... The resulting 2048 de-CSS's VOBS will go out of AE to tape as 2054, with CSS flag, if you enable it. Also, once you run your VOBs through Shrink, I bet your audio will be fine.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

msacci
on Oct 24, 2007 at 2:03:34 am

I'm Mac only seems this is for windows.

Return to posts index

msacci
on Oct 24, 2007 at 3:36:10 pm

Max,

Just to up date you, I downloaded MactheRipper and ripped the DVD and it still will not play on my Macs, of course the burned disc even before ripping plays fine on a settop player. These DLTs just have a weird copy protection on them, and it seems like nobody has seen this before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]