FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Individual VTO Files

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
VideoSandra
Editing Individual VTO Files
on Oct 22, 2007 at 9:00:41 pm

Hello,

I work for a company that produces DVDs for seminars, creating all custom graphics, menus, etc...
My boss just came to me today with a DVD that a former employee created, with menus, intro videos, and the main presentation video.

This main presentation video is a multi-camera shoot of a seminar, where the person directing made 2 bad cuts, 1 consisting of black video, and 1 of an audience member picking his teeth. The former employee did not watch the presentation (or did, and just didn't care about the final outcome).

Since we don't have his original project files or individual videos, my question is how to edit just the vto of this main video track, without having to go back and re-create all of the custom menus and videos, essentially editing a new project, which I would have to do for 14 DVDs.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Sandra

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
Re: Editing Individual VTO Files
on Oct 22, 2007 at 10:37:31 pm

Sandra,

You can reconstruct the project via DVD re-author, given you or a vendor you know has a Scenarist system. Re-author will take all the menus, videos, and audio on the disc and make a Scenarist project out of them. You can then use a tool like MPEG video wizard by Womble to edit the mpeg. Womble may or may not work for multi-angled mpegs, as it changes GOP structure.
Then you bring back the edited mpeg2 into Scenarist, move your chapters and cook up a new disc. I've had to use re-author on many occasions when original project files are no longer available.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Oct 23, 2007 at 1:09:49 am

I'm guessing Sandra doesn't have access to a Scenarist :) You can use a tool like MPEG Stream Clip which allows you to extract the assets from the VIDEO_TS folder and re-author the project from scratch.

For the seminar you'll have to transcode to an editable file, make your changes, then re-encode back to MPEG 2 for the disc. There are MPEG 2 editors but I've seen some problems with them in the past so I never use them. You will take a quality hit but it may not be as bad as you may think.

Return to posts index

VideoSandra
on Oct 24, 2007 at 1:52:27 pm

We already own Encore DVD, and DVD Studio Pro, will either one of these programs be able to do it as well? I also heard that Nero would work as well, what are you thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback!
Sandra

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Oct 24, 2007 at 3:45:38 pm

Those are just authoring tool. To do the kind of editing you need you'll have to extract the assets from the disc itself.

Return to posts index

VideoSandra
on Oct 24, 2007 at 3:48:47 pm

Ok, thanks a bunch! I'll give it a try!

Sandra

Return to posts index

msacci
on Oct 24, 2007 at 9:01:39 pm

DVDAfterEdit will also allow you to reauthor a project. You would demux the VTS and edit the video make new VTS and slide them back in. It is not a cheap program but it would pay for itself with something like this. I have used it to replace audio a lot or fix a problem when all I have is a finished DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]