FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD DVD Audio Issue with DVD Studio Pro

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Larue
HD DVD Audio Issue with DVD Studio Pro
on Oct 12, 2007 at 1:52:26 pm

I have read many forums and online ramblings on how to burn HD DVD files on DVD-r Disk for playback on Macs and Toshiba HD DVD players. I can say that I have had some luck in doing so. I have been able to burn a 7 minute HD 1920x1080i quicktime file and it looks absolutely great on a Toshiba HD-XA2kN player. The downside is that the dolby 5.1 AC3 file that was married with the video in DVD Studio Pro will not play, however the DVD disk will play with audio when inserted into a superdrive on a mac.

Our department has sent out this movie file and same AC3 file to a dvd burning house and they sent us the disk back on a standard dvd-r disk. However the audio on their disk plays back fine. They however charged us $1500 for one disk and I'm trying to save that charge again. I asked the guy what software they used and they said DVD Studio Pro.

Any ideas about what might be causing this or any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Return to posts index

eric
Re: HD DVD Audio Issue with DVD Studio Pro
by
on Oct 12, 2007 at 2:59:03 pm

I doubt DVDSP is able to use 5.1 AC3 on a HD DVD disc at this time. Try PCM and let us know how it works. Regardless of what Apple says, DVDSP is NOT a functional HD DVD authoring tool yet.

Return to posts index

Mark Abney
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:50:36 pm

are you using the latest version of DVDSP?

perhaps the folks who made the disc that worked in your player are using a differnt version than you?

just a shot in the dark.

good luck with your project.

-mark

Return to posts index

Mark Larue
on Oct 12, 2007 at 7:04:22 pm

I am using DVD SP 4.1.2 which I believe is the most current version available. I'm not sure which version the burning house was using, but I'm assuming it's the most up to date, as this would probably be the most compatible with the media types we sent. Does anyone know if PCM audio will play back as 5.1? I've read stuff online, but what I keep finding is just plane stereo. What we sent out was the AC3 file with dolby audio 5.1 and that's what we need to play back. But if PCM can play back the 5.1 bitstream then this might be the solution.

Thanks Again,

Mark

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Oct 12, 2007 at 7:16:50 pm

No PCM is not 5.1. Are you sure your vendor authored your disc with 5.1? Have you confirmed this?

Return to posts index

Mark Larue
on Oct 12, 2007 at 7:34:22 pm

Yes, the DVD from the Vendor has Dolby 5.1 audio. We mixed the audio in protools and output the AC3 file which is what we sent them. When we play back in our protools suite and conference room which has surround, its' there in full glory. We ended up making some tweaks to the audio and this is why we're trying to burn in ourselves.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Oct 17, 2007 at 2:08:45 pm

Not really relevant to this thread, but I just wanted to point out that 5.1 PCM is in fact part of the HD DVD spec. This would of course eat up much of your bit-budget, given that you're working with DVD-R.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Mark Larue
on Oct 18, 2007 at 1:22:09 am

I have tried a bunch of different brand dvd's and still no luck yet with the sound playing back through the hd-dvd player. I'll ask our sound designer about encoding a 5.1 pcm file, although someone did say that pcm is only stereo.. I'm assuming that's just linear pcm?

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Oct 13, 2007 at 10:26:17 pm

I have found that the type (brand) of media you use is very important. I burn Red Laser HD-DVD discs weekly with DVDSP and have had no problems, even with AC3 audio, until last week that is. I had run out of the Maxell brand DVD-R (they sell them at costco in bulk) and had to resort to using no brand DVD-R media from compusa. The audio would not play in sync after 30 seconds. The video would stutter and audio would be completely out of sync. I encoded and muxed the files many times with no change. I could play the HD-DVD TS folder files from the hard drive with DVDSP but the Toshiba would not have it at all. I got some more Maxell media formated the blank disc with the same files that would not play on the generic media and popped the final product in the Toshiba A2. It played flawlessly. I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Mark Larue
on Oct 16, 2007 at 2:02:33 pm

I actually was thinking the "brand" of media might have something to do with it. I will buy some different maker's discs and see if I get any better luck.

Thanks Again,

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Larue
on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:39:45 pm

Alas!!! We finally have success burning to disk on regular memorex dvd-r 8x discs. The media type doesn't seem to be that much of the reason, but I wouldn't suggest using cheap disks. One of the reasons we were having issues is that my computer couldn't read the HD Avid Codec and our system with protools wasn't up to the latest version of DVD studio Pro which address ac3 file playback with HD-DVD players. Now that we have this all set burning the discs went smoothly and look great at 1920x1080i on our plasma screen and playback dolby digital 5.1!

Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions.

Mark

Return to posts index

Gambit26
on Oct 30, 2007 at 1:16:33 am

I do SD DVD5/DVD9 programming for living and I have yet to do my first HD DVD or Blue Ray project. However, I think ideally what I'm doing now should work with authoring an HD DVD on DVD Studio Pro 4(Mac) and then burn the compile HD DVD project to Sonic DigitalMedia Plus7(or higher)(PC) w/ HD DVD Burner. I don't have the cash to set up my HD DVD /(Blue Ray) authoring and replicating ideas but would really want to get going with this... It don't matter if HD DVD or Blue Ray dominates, companies will make something that would work.... It's just up to people like myself to find the right combination that works.
Drop me an email if you're interested in collaborating.... maybe even venture into this HD DVD business....

ManOne Productions Ltd.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Oct 30, 2007 at 10:52:26 am

Gambit, why don't you send me an email off list? (max@area4.tv)

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]