FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu Ray burners

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
todd ailts
Blu Ray burners
on Oct 7, 2007 at 7:17:19 pm

I am researching Blu Ray burners abd want to use Adobe Encore CS3 on a dual quad core Apple. I am looking for recommendations on a burner for this set-up ... my VAR is pushing Lacie $829. Any suggestions or comments or better burners with proven track record in this configuration?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
Re: Blu Ray burners
on Oct 7, 2007 at 8:11:51 pm

We use Lite-On burners almost daily. Have not had any problems with any so far. I believe you can find one online for under $500 these days. It burns 25GB discs at 2x, and Lite-On has promised a firmware update that will enable dual-layer burning, and single-layer at 4x.

Max
--
Author
Area 4
New York

Return to posts index

Todd Ailts
on Oct 8, 2007 at 11:33:14 am

Thank you for your response.

2 more questions:

1) Have you found any problems in compatability ... with other drives not be able to read the discs you are authoring (as I have read this is one problem, but it could be due to the authoring software - not the burner)

2) Do you have a vendor you can recommend, especially for reasonably priced discs (I just need single sided, write once media).

Again thanks
Todd

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Oct 8, 2007 at 11:51:56 am

Todd,

Like you say, the only issues we've encountered have been due to authoring errors. We use Scenarist HDMV, which I believe produces most compliant discs. We haven't experimented much with Encore or DVDit.

As far as brands of discs, only top manufacturers are currently making Blu blanks, so you'll be safe with any on the market. I think you can get Panasonic discs now for under $10. As cheaper no-name brands begin appearing, I would still advise to stick with the big names because one bad disc can potentially cost you a client.

Max
--
Author
Area 4
New York

Return to posts index

Todd Ailts
on Oct 8, 2007 at 12:05:24 pm

Max, Thank you very much for your advice. Todd

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Oct 10, 2007 at 8:26:05 pm

Max, Are you authoring on a PC or a Mac? I need a Mac solution. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Oct 11, 2007 at 1:02:48 pm

A burner is a burner - it will work on PC or Mac as long as the software recognizes it and Mac Toast should. I'm using PC, however.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

edwin gendron
on Jan 8, 2008 at 4:01:16 am

what sort of connection does one of these burners take? all the specs say "SATA" but I have yet to see a "sata" port on any computer.

perhaps I just haven't ...yet... bc I'm using a powerbook G4?

Or

perhaps there is some sort of usable converter to turn either USB or Firewire into a SATA connection???

any advice? please?
thank you
-edg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]