FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best practices for authoring a DVD for computer only playback

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Pitzer
Best practices for authoring a DVD for computer only playback
on Sep 17, 2007 at 2:04:10 pm

Greetings,
I'm working on a project that involves creating a DVD that will be played back on computer only.
The video consists of a talking head which has PowerPoint slides edited over the video.
The talking head looks fine, but the PPT slides definitely look fuzzy when viewing on a computer, but they look pretty good when viewed on a CRT monitor connected to a normal DVD player.
I'm wondering if there are any hints or tips to optimize the DVD for computer playback.
Anything that would help make the slides look better would be greatly appreciated.
In FCP, i'm importing the slides as TIFFs, and they are sized so that I don't need to do any scaling in FCP.
My sequence setting is for 10 bit uncompressed, and I'm using Compressor for encoding.
Thanks much in advance.
Jack

Return to posts index

Rob Anderson
Re: Best practices for authoring a DVD for computer only playback
on Sep 19, 2007 at 3:48:15 am

Jack -

Have you checked out Intellidisc? View the demo then download the free trial software. Sounds like it might help you by allowing users to view the PPT at it's native resolution.

http://www.intellidisc.com/video/project3/Project3.html

Rob

Return to posts index

Kathleen Watkins
on Nov 28, 2007 at 8:50:43 pm

I'm not doing Powerpoints, but I am interested in the this topic, authoring DVDs for computer-only playback.

We have a FCP program with imported clips from After Effects mixed with DV camera footage. When we export and compress through Bitvice (with interlaced footage box checked), the results look great on tvs but the motion graphics completely fall apart on computer screens.

The client wants something that plays great on computers only - they don't care about televisions.

Should we render the After Effects to "no field"?
Should we convert the DV to progressive?
Should we uncheck the "interlaced input" box in Bitvice?
Should we do all 3?

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Nov 28, 2007 at 9:44:09 pm

Just check "deinterlace" in BiVice. Keep "interlaced input" checked.

Max
--
Author
New York
Area4.tv

Return to posts index

Kathleen Watkins
on Nov 28, 2007 at 11:31:57 pm

Thanks for such a quick response. Unfortunately BitVice won't doesn't give me those options. I have to chose either "Interlaced input" OR "Use deinterlacer. I'm going to try the second one in a test right now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]