FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authored DVDs stutter on black portions

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Bass
Authored DVDs stutter on black portions
on Sep 1, 2007 at 8:33:10 am

So here's a fun issue I come across sometimes.

On several of my short films, some (not all) DVD players will skip/hitch/stutter on completely black parts of the movie, or more specifically, during a transition between when there is a video present and pure black (a fade/cut to black, or during credits). If it's a problem, it's a problem in the exact same spots in the film on different DVD players, and also across any number of burned discs.

So, to start, I DO use the Taiyo Yuden. . .the best ones they make, as far as I know.

This is my usual chain of production:

Movie is edited in Vegas (6, right now), either rendered to an MPEG-2 with the DVD NTSC template from the timeline, or from an AVI file of the movie, and then burned to disc using Roxio Easy Media Creator/DVD Builder Basic. My burner was $65 several years ago, an NEC.

Someone previously suggested illegal black levels causing problems. Fair enough. On my latest short, I put a black video bed (generated media/solid color black, whatever levels that defaults to) under everything in Vegas, so when it faded or cut to where there was no video signal, there'd always be black underneath. I also put a broadcast colors filter on all the video tracks.

I thought everything was fine 'cause the movie played smoothly in my DVD player, but in another, it skipped and hitched at the beginning, where it goes from pure black to credits, white text on black, and then again at the end, where it does the opposite.

Anyone else encountered this and found a solution?

Return to posts index

bouke vahl
Re: Authored DVDs stutter on black portions
on Sep 9, 2007 at 8:18:01 am

I'm not sure how the presets of the encoding are, but i'm darn sure it's VBR.
Thus, during the complex parts, the datarate goes up too much.

Try to find a template that uses CBR, and / or use AC-3 sound to lower the datarate.
High datarates don't work on burned discs. Keep the total below 7500.

hth

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]