FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray quality question

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Steinberg
Blu-ray quality question
on Aug 31, 2007 at 10:09:27 am

Hello!

I will be getting the Adobe CS3 suite soon, and I have a big job creating visual content for a series of live events/concerts. I'm thinking I'll produce this at 1920 x 1080, and use the Adobe CS3 suite to export directly to Blu-ray (via Encore). The video will be shown via a projector, and presented on a large screen behind the stage performers. It will consist of a mix of complex motion graphics, animations, text and pre-shot video. The quality has to be absolutely pristine, and that brings me to my question: Since I have no experience with Blu-ray yet, I don't know if I will be disappointed with the quality. Most importantly, I don't want ANY compression artifacts, even in the most complex parts of the visual content. Will Blu-ray be good enough for my project? If yes, will the Adobe encoding tools suffice for this, or should I look into a more advanced encoding tool like Sorenson Squeeze?

All advise greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Blu-ray quality question
by
on Aug 31, 2007 at 3:15:49 pm

Without knowing what your piece looks like, I would say "no".

First there have been some issues with Encore. Go the the forums and check it out. Second, not all BD players will play a BD-R so makes sure it works before you invest. Third - since you going to BD, you will have to compress your beautiful footage to MPEG2. Its a much higher bitrate but it's still compressed. If I were you I'd play back from a deck or straight from the timeline.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Sep 4, 2007 at 3:37:27 pm

I'm not an Encore user, so I can't address that part of your question. As far as picture quality on Blu-Ray is concerned, you can have excellent picture quality provided that you encode your program using a high quality solution. I have not yet tried Sorenson Squeeze for encoding HD MPEG-2, but I would expect good results. I have had good results with Apple Compressor. Keep your bitrate up in the 20-25Mbit range used by the professional discs.

In any case, test your project by playing it on a large flat screen display, and you will know whether your project will look good on a projector.

For playing a BD-R disc (recordable) you can use the Sony BDP-S1 (with at least version 1.6 firmware), the Playstation 3 or the Panasonic Blu-Ray players.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Max @ Area 4
on Sep 19, 2007 at 11:59:17 am

We haven't used Encore, but from what I know you can set it to encode your source to AVC (h264) on import. Adobe uses MainConcept's engine for encoding. We use a stand-alone MC encoder and AVC quality is excellent! So at least in theory, you should be in good shape.

Max
--
Author
Area 4
New York

Return to posts index

Eric Steinberg
on Sep 20, 2007 at 6:22:44 am

Thanks for all your input, I'll make a decision soon!

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]