FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does an image take less space??

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FischTale
Why does an image take less space??
on Aug 23, 2007 at 4:31:48 am

I noticed a strange thing today that doesn't seem to be a problem, but it has me curious. I burned a dual layer DVD project directly to disc and then used that disc in my duplicator to create an image and burn copies. The discs burned from the image show less space "burned" when you look at the bottom of the disc. A friend and I tried this with two different duplicators and got the same results. The copies play fine. I'm just curious about what is happening to create this. Anyone?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Why does an image take less space??
on Aug 23, 2007 at 5:21:07 am

Probably weren't finalized- which is padding the disc with extra data to fill the disc and prevent playback issues on some older players.

Noaoh

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and now Apple Color!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

FischTale
on Aug 24, 2007 at 2:43:52 pm

Noah, If I finalized the master disc when it was authored and then made an image from that, wouldn't the copies be finalized? That's how I always thought it worked.

Aside from that, I looked in my settings menu on my duplicator software (flexware 1.1) and it has "finalize mastered discs" checked. So it sounds like they are being finalized but I'm glad you brought that up because I had never even thought about it. I thought I only needed to worry about finalizing the master.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Aug 23, 2007 at 10:54:59 am

Is it possible that the Duplicator modified your position for the Layer Break? For instance, say you have a 3-hour movie, and you put the original LB at the 2-hour mark. Is it possible that the Duplicating machine put the LB at the 1.5 hour mark? (I'm just using these numbers as an example...)

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

FischTale
on Aug 24, 2007 at 2:45:49 pm

This is my first experience with DL discs and I didn't do the initial authoring so I don't know much about it. Is there a way to figure out if the layer break has changed other than watching the DVD and trying to catch it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]