FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV cable connection question

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffreaux
TV cable connection question
on Aug 9, 2007 at 5:25:34 pm

Greetings,

I've got a basic television connection question which I came across while testing a DVD I'm currently working on. I apologize if this is not the proper forum, but I want to make sure it's not an authoring mistake on my part.

Up to this point, I've been fairly pleased with the results. I'm working with Premiere Pro 2.0, using Encore, and my system is based around the Matrox RTX2. I'm new to the whole thing, and needless to say, I've still got a ton of questions about most aspects of the procedure.

Long story short...I've tested a current project on my home DVD player, and was basically happy with the results. I've also tested it on a second player with the same results. So, today I went to the client's house to test it on their system. They have a new Samsung widescreen TV, which I was excited about. The project is 16X9, so I was anxious to see it on that type of screen. Well, the good news is that the DVD played in their player, and the image fit the screen. The bad news is that the picture quality was MUCH less clear and much more pixellated than it was on previous test TV's. Video, text, everything was inferior.

My first thought was that I had done something wrong along the way, and needed to check my settings, etc, which is still probably true. However, I wanted to get the model # from the TV, just to investigate the specs. When I looked behind it, I noticed that the only input connection coming to the TV was an 'F' cable, and I'm not sure what the routing was to get it there.

So, my long winded question is basically this: would that possibly make a significant difference? If they had their DVD player hooked up with component cables or another option, would it improve the look of my DVD?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what route to take in troubleshooting this project. I should probably mention that the client is also a good friend, so the pressure is low. I also made them leave the room during the test so that they wouldn't get any sneak peeks at the video before it's ready.

Sorry for being lengthy, and thanks for any input or advice!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: TV cable connection question
on Aug 9, 2007 at 10:57:03 pm

Are you making 16:9 anamorphic DVDs? If not your DVDs are being upconverted by the 16:9 display. Which unless it's a really high end TV is often an inferior upconvert, especially on 4:3 material.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and now Apple Color!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jeffreaux
on Aug 10, 2007 at 2:32:26 pm

Noah,

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm making 16:9 anamorphic DVD's or not! I went back to check the settings in Encore, but couldn't find that. Would that be a setting in the DVD authoring stage, or would that be in editing/encoding stage?

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 10, 2007 at 4:05:05 pm

If you don't know I suspect you are making 4:3.

Noah

Return to posts index

Jeffreaux
on Aug 10, 2007 at 5:30:02 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure that I've kept everything in 16:9, but it's the anamorphic part I'm not sure of.

The image is 16:9 throughout the editing process, and when I play the DVD back on my 4:3 set, the image is letterboxed properly. It was also properly sized on the widescreen test, as far as not being stretched or squeezed, but it just looked a bit blocky and not as crisp.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 10, 2007 at 8:51:36 pm

Well how good is the monitor and the DVD player feeding it. Are they set in native 16:9 anamorphic?

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]