FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD architect

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Allen
DVD architect
on Jul 23, 2007 at 7:06:36 pm

I've had Sony's DVD architect since about Version 2. I haven't had to rely on it that much until recently. I now have 4.0 with all the updates and I can never seem to burn a DVD that will work on all players no matter what size the project is. I have an old cheap DVD player I keep around to test stuff with and it's hit or miss with what I burn (mostly miss). Are there settings that will give DVD's better playabilty?

Return to posts index

kelissa
Re: DVD architect
on Jul 24, 2007 at 9:27:35 pm

Sorry to say I don't have an answer for you, but I do experience the same problem using DVDit (on the PC) and DVD Studio Pro (on the Mac). DVDs seem to play in most DVD players, but not most computers. So, maybe this problem is not unique to your software.

Return to posts index

delirious
on Jul 25, 2007 at 3:35:11 pm

Try burning your DVDs at the lowest speed possible -- I usually use 4x and it works well with older players

-Leigh

Return to posts index

seminewbie
on Jul 31, 2007 at 12:39:26 am

Here are my keys to playing on as many DVD players as possible.

1....Burn as slowly as possible. If you can find DVD's that will
burn at 2.4x then use them.
2....Run a test with different brands of DVD's. If you look closely
at some of the literature for DVD burners you will see that they
work better with the discs from some manufacturers than others.
3....Try to keep the top end of your transcoding setting to 5.5 mbps.
Now I know that this may effect quality to a small degree but
that is the price you may have to pay for playability.

Good Luck;

Dan

Return to posts index

riredale
on Aug 2, 2007 at 11:48:58 pm

I've done thousands of full DVDs and have had very few issues:

(1) You can burn as fast as the disk is rated, with some exceptions. To prove my point, get a copy of Nero's CD/DVD Speed utility and check the error rate of disks burned at various speeds. In my personal experience, a full (4.38GB) disk burned at 4x, 8x, 12x, and 16x shows very low error rates at the first 3 speeds and only shows increasing errors at the outer edge at 16x. So I use 12x (the media is rated at 16x).

(2) By far the most critical factor in compatibility is the brand of the medium. I use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R blanks, which are about the best in the world and can be bought from places like Meritline or SuperMediaStore for about $0.30 each in quantities of 100.

(3) You can burn at any datarate up to the technical limits of the DVD format. To make life a little easier for the DVD player, however, I generally set an upper limit for video + audio at about 9Mb/sec. I set my lower limit at 2Mb/sec, and set the average based on the amount of material that I need to put on the disk using the formula BRavg = ( 600 / MinutesOfVideo ) - BRaudio. If I'm using DolbyDigital audio, the audio bitrate is 0.2, while raw audio is 1.5.

If I'm putting 90 minutes of material on the disk and the audio is DolbyDigital, then BRavg = ( 600 / 90 ) - 0.2, or about 6.5Mb/sec. So I encode the MPEG2 video with 2, 6.5, and 9 for min, avg, and max.

Use a name-brand burner, TY blanks, and a well-known authoring program and you will never have playability issues on any player. For years I used full-face labels, but some DVD players throw fits with labels. I now use the glossy white "Watershield" blanks that TY sells for about $0.80 and which print beautifully on my Canon IP3000 printer.

Return to posts index

seminewbie
on Aug 3, 2007 at 2:34:03 am

I believe that you are right in everything you say. I have, however had a few bad moments that you appear to not have had. None the less
I will keep your post handy and attempt to incorporate some of what you are doing into my workflow.

Thanks;

Dan

Return to posts index

riredale
on Aug 3, 2007 at 10:48:47 pm

Dan:

Using Nero's CD/DVD Speed utility was an eye-opener for me. If you have the time, download it and take a look at your disks. Use the "Disk Quality" tab and have it run through your burned disk.

What amazed me was how many errors even a "perfect" disk had. I guess the designers of the DVD process realized that they were pushing practical limits so they incorporated very robust error-correction mechanisms in the standard. I've read that a disk is marginal only if the upper graph shows errors way above 280 for significant parts of the disk, or if the lower graph shows errors way above 8 for significant parts of the disk. Otherwise, the error-correction routines completely repair the read mistakes.

In a very short time you'll be able to get a feel for your burn process. I also strongly suggest you get your hands on some Taiyo Yuden DVD-R blanks (the premium ones, not the value line ones). I bought some yesterday for $0.33 each from SuperMediaStore. It makes a big difference, according to Nero.

Return to posts index

seminewbie
on Aug 4, 2007 at 12:42:06 am

Thanks I have been plodding along getting things into production without really having a firm handle on the tevhnical side of authoring. I appreciate your input very much

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]