Which way is better?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shahram
Which way is better?
on Jul 15, 2007 at 9:06:53 pm

Hello

I have a problem, can anybody help me?
I have a DVD-Video and I want to edit it in editing application (Edius) and then again I want to create new DVD-Video from it with new menu and subtitle.
Since my capture card has been damaged and right now I just have IEEE 1394, I think I can do it in two ways;

1- capture DVD-Video by IEEE 1394 as an AVI file and edit it in Edius and then export final video as a MPEG2 file and in the next stage take them to DVD authoring application and create DVD-Video with new menu and subtitle.

2- Importing Vob file directly to Edius(it support vob files) and edit it, then export final video as a MPEG2 file and then send them to DVD authoring application for creating new DVD-Video.

In your opinion which way is better? What would you do if you were me?
Quality and resolution are most important factor for me, I don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Which way is better?
on Jul 15, 2007 at 9:13:51 pm

Is it a copy-protected, commercial DVD or one you authored?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

shahram
on Jul 16, 2007 at 3:58:44 am

No it is not copy protected, I can capture it by IEEE1394 and can rip it to hard too but I am not sure which way is the best?
What would you do if you were me?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 16, 2007 at 5:09:17 am

I'd try to find the original media- DVD is a horrible source for good quality. I'd go with whatever looked best on a disc by disc basis otherwise. DVD to DV is going to be quickest.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100 and Final Cut Pro!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jul 16, 2007 at 2:31:16 pm

What type of "Editing" do you plan to do? Straight cuts, or something more such as compositing and adding titles, etc...?

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

shahram
on Jul 17, 2007 at 9:59:50 am

Noah, there is no original media, this DVD-video is all we have.
Yes George, I want to remove and add some part of video and change entire audio of video, I might use some filter like color correction (not so much) and after that I want to export it to Adobe Encore DVD for authoring.
Regards
shahram

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:49:14 am

What is the resolution of your current DVD? If it's anything but 720x480/576 (NTSC/PAL), then I believe Encore will re-encode (someone correct me if I am wrong). In other words, some DVD Recorders use 704x480, but Encore will re-encode to be 720x480 (I do not know if Encore CS3 does this).

If you find you do have a resolution that forces Encore to always re-encode, you might be better off converting to a more edit-friendly format (dv .avi as you have suggested). Then encoding properly for Encore (try to minimze the number of re-encodes).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

shahram
on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:48:15 pm

Resolution is 720X480 NTSC, Encore2 will re-encode it but I don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]