FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD authoring and ripping

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaggy37
DVD authoring and ripping
on Jun 21, 2007 at 4:23:51 pm

Hi, I'm looking at software to rip and burn dvds for my company. I was wondering what the "best" was out there. Is there one, solve all, solution or should I be looking at two different pieces of software, one for ripping and one for building a dvd? Thanks for any help!
_warren

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD authoring and ripping
on Jun 21, 2007 at 4:32:32 pm

Ripping your own DVD's? Why not just save the original media?

Return to posts index

Shaggy37
on Jun 21, 2007 at 4:41:15 pm

Well then what would be the best way to convert the VOB to something I can play with in After Effects?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 21, 2007 at 7:47:45 pm

You still didn't answer my question though- from DVD-R's you made yourself or Hollywood/retail DVDs with copy protection on them?

Return to posts index

Shaggy37
on Jun 22, 2007 at 3:03:07 pm

ohhhh sorry. didn't understand your q. Well our client had a crummy vhs made for them like 25 years ago and about 5 years ago they put it on a dvd. Now they are coming to my company to take this dvd and "do a couple things in after effects" (adding titles and such) and then exporting it out to a flash video to be viewed on their site. does that clarify? sorry I didn't answer the question at first.

Return to posts index

Shaggy37
on Jun 22, 2007 at 3:11:24 pm

there is no copyright protection.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 22, 2007 at 4:16:45 pm

You should be able to copy the assets onto your hard drive- then do a bit of googling for DVD Ripping tools. As you won't need copy protection defeaters all you want is something to convert VOB to MPEG-2 to QuickTime. You could also just feed DVD over S-Video to DV and capture that tape- quality will be about the same.

VHS to DVD to decoded DVD back to DVD is so many generations though- might want to let the client know it has the high potential to look like dodo.

Noah

Return to posts index

Shaggy37
on Jun 22, 2007 at 4:25:10 pm

thanks. the client already knows it looks horrible. . . and they're ok with that. I was just wondering if there are any suggestions for which software I should use. I know there are a lot out there. Thing is, I use this crappy thing called "1st DVD ripper" and well, it sucks. Roxio capture... looks like it works fine but only outputs to an mpg which after effects then tells me is invalid and it can't read.

Return to posts index

lukeny
on Jun 22, 2007 at 5:04:38 pm

TMPGENC Encoder

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

Return to posts index

Shaggy37
on Jun 22, 2007 at 5:17:41 pm

Friggin awesome. Likin gthe price too. Thanks dude!

Return to posts index

seminewbie
on Jul 31, 2007 at 1:02:58 am

(This was sent to a previous poster but you might find it interesting)

I remember the first time a client gave me a dvd to get my content from. I thought I was in real trouble. Then I went to the web and found that everything I needed was available for free.

First I use a program called DVD SHRINK to pull my assets from the disk. Then I use a small program called file merger to place the VOB files together, in order, and then finally a program called REJig (in file mode) to de-multiplex the vob files into M2V and AC3 streams which can be imported any authoring programs.

I assure you it is not as complicated as it sounds. Here are some links that may be of assistance to you.

http://www.videohelp.com/

http://www.dvd-guides.com/

Good Luck

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]