FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prep for replicator problems

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Edwards
Prep for replicator problems
on Jun 5, 2007 at 4:57:20 pm

I'm making a drive image (DDP 2.0) of a DVDSP project for a replicator and having a few issues. Using DVDSP 4.1.2

1) Is a USB 2.0 external drive fast enough to build/format the project? I keep getting failures half way through.

2) The replicator is using a NT based system to glass master the DVD. I formated my external HD in Disk Utility and burned the DDP 2.0 image. When the replicator got the hard drive, they said there was nothing on it. I checked the HD after the burning of the image and there were 3 folders on the drive and 4.3GB of info taken up. Having them send it back to check it on my system today.

Is this an issue with Mac formatting vs. Windows formatting? If so, what are my options for formatting that will allow me to format on the mac and burn the project so it can be seen by the replicator. Or should I format the drive under XP a specific way?

3) I am trying another external drive today, that has windows formating on it straight from the factory. The drive image burn fails half way through.

4) They said I could burn a DATA DVD-R of the whole project, but from my reading in this forum, it looks like the CSS bit does not always transfer when using this approach. I know DVD's can be easily ripped, but if the client wants to pay for, then I will gladly ad it.

Appreciate any pointers.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Prep for replicator problems
on Jun 5, 2007 at 7:15:49 pm

[Andy Edwards] "4) They said I could burn a DATA DVD-R of the whole project, but from my reading in this forum, it looks like the CSS bit does not always transfer when using this approach."

If you burn the DDP files to the DVD-R the CSS bit will not be affected. It's a DVD-R of the VIDEO_TS that will not carry the CSS bit.

[Andy Edwards] "I formated my external HD in Disk Utility"
Formatted on the Mac as HPFS? NT won't know what to do with that. Format the HHD on a Windows machine as NTFS. Your Mac should be able to see it and so will NT.

Dave

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Jun 5, 2007 at 11:10:36 pm

[Dave Friend] "If you burn the DDP files to the DVD-R the CSS bit will not be affected."

Went ahead and did that. I also made DATA disc with the separate IMG file as well. Hopefully they won't have a problem now.

[Dave Friend] "Format the HHD on a Windows machine as NTFS."

When I plugged in the drive a second time today, I formatted it as a MSDOS format in the OSX Drive Utility. Was this also a mistake? Is it going to be another problem for NT as well? Might have to get the drive back again and format it on a windows machine as you stated.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully can get this done correctly the next time.

Andy

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 6, 2007 at 9:24:32 am

I read about the "DVD-DOWNLOAD" format that was approved earlier this year (which allows burning CSS to DVD-R). It requires special burners, and special discs, and is supposed to be coming later this year.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

lukeny
on Jun 6, 2007 at 11:56:31 am

Our Premastering system is Windows based as well. Macdrive (http://www.mediafour.com) is the key to reading the Apple formatted hard drives on a Windows based PC. I'm surprised your replicator does not have this software.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Jun 6, 2007 at 1:38:38 pm

[lukeny] "I'm surprised your replicator does not have this software."

As I am not in the loop with who was actually chosen to replicate the final product, I'm trying to find out to solve these issues.

Care to send me your info? Your profile or post does not have any of your contact information.

Andy

Return to posts index

lukeny
on Jun 6, 2007 at 3:45:57 pm

You need just the company name and web address?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]