FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD DVD the winner vs Blue Ray? $299 players already? When do we really switch over?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Superfly
HD DVD the winner vs Blue Ray? $299 players already? When do we really switch over?
on Jun 3, 2007 at 8:12:44 pm

When does a small business switch and what do we switch to?

I have been doing a lot of Professional Theatre (3 cam shoots) for about 10 years now and it seems like just 3 or 4 years ago that the majority of orders went from VHS to DVD. This happened suddenly one December when the players dropped below the $50 mark.

Local competition is touting HD while in reality they have nothing to deliver it on. I personally suspect that with the belly flop of Sony's Blue Ray in the consumer market that it will be at least another 3-4 years before someone in my market switches to what will likely be the HD DVD format.

Unfortunately my 80-90 hour work weeks have kept me away from my beloved COW lately. Anybody have any info or thoughts about this?

Economically I have just found that it is best to stay 2-3 years behind the cutting edge in order to survive. Those Pentium chips seem to double in price from a P4 3 gig to the P4 (whatever is the hottest right now).

You get the idea anyway. Anyone else feelin' this?

Thanks for anything you got.

S.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: HD DVD the winner vs Blue Ray? $299 players already? When do we really switch over?
on Jun 4, 2007 at 8:35:04 am

I think it's pretty much a given that Blu Ray will come out on top in the end.
The technology is far superior, there more movie studios behind BD and the PS3 is Blu ray, and just look at what the PS2 did for the DVD market.
That said, I think we'll see the two formats live side by side for a while. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the position of investing in high end authoring gear for a long while yet.
I'm not sure about your statement that Blu Ray has belly flopped, Blu Ray is out selling HD-DVD 70% to 30%, according to PC World.

Here are some real-time stats from Amazon, again Blu Ray comes out on top.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

Return to posts index

eric
Re: HD DVD the winner vs Blue Ray? $299 players already? When do we really switch over?
by
on Jun 4, 2007 at 1:36:56 pm

Danny

Ahhh...The power of a good marketing plan!

There is no possible way to support that claim. The "BR sells more than HD DVD" claim surely makes sense based on the number of studios adobting thier format - it isn't a basis on the claim of who winnig a format war. 99% of all HD material is NOT owned by major motion picture studios and Blu Ray is a hindrance to these content owners in releaseing a title. I recieved a qoute recently of $70,000 - $100,000 to author a BluRay title. HD DVD (HDi) is available to everyone and you could author a title by tonight if you'd like. I Always find it odd why anyone who authors DVDs professionally, at any level, would support BD-J at this point in the game. Unless of course you are directly related to it's developement - which would probably add up to about 100 people in the world :)

How is BR technologically superior? And don't say "higher capacity" and have you compared this "higher technology" with a BR title and a HD DVD title? Blu Ray title/palyers are certainly not supporting what they market to folks on the street:

1 No Advanced audio codecs (Dolby Digital Plus, DTS Master Audio, DD TrueHD) Network hardware
2 No Secondary video decoder
3 No Persistant storage
4 No Reliable interactivity
5. All BR palyers ONLY support level 1 features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#1.0

In addition, did you here about the recall/firm ware updates for the new "Pirates of the Caribean" ?? So...maybe...it looks HD DVD is the superior technology here...eh?

I'm sorry, I'm just asking people to do a little research before making big claims on internet forum, especially when its coming from professional DVD folks like Danny :):)

Return to posts index

cowcow
Danny2007
on Jun 4, 2007 at 2:51:51 pm

My my, you are rather condescending aren't you!

From your wiki link:

BD has a much higher maximum data transfer rate, supports (the optional) DTS-HD at double the data rate of HD-DVD.

BD can do Dolby Digital at 640kbps vs the 504kbps maximum of HD-DVD

HD-DVD has to spin much faster to reach the same transfer rates as BD

How can you ignore the higher capacity of BD?

Did I mention BD+

BD has a far superior (albeit expensive) coating.

One thing that HD-DVD has that Blu-Ray misses is the ability to do 25p & 30p

But, hey, it's the public who'll end up making a winner, according to DVDempire.com the stats are

Week: Blu-ray 57.29%, HD-DVD 42.71%
Month: Blu-ray 60.52%, HD-DVD 39.48%
Year: Blu-ray 61.48%, HD-DVD 38.52%

Titles: Blu-Ray 249, HD-DVD 221

Neilsen: Blu-ray outselling HD-DVD 2:1
http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/12412/nielsen_blu-ray_outselling_h...

In Japan, Blu-ray owns 96% of the HD market:
http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-takes-96-of-the-japanese-market/40/

Ninety six percent!

Blu-ray - over 70% of the market.
http://www.itpro.co.uk/storage/news/111278/bluray-takes-lions-share-of-high...

Basically, HD-DVD as it is now is as good as it's going to get. With Blu-Ray however it's just going to get better as the profiles are upgraded.

And I'll repeat, the PS3 is Blu-Ray, even if it was an inferior technology it'll come out on top for this fact alone.

It's a London thing.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jun 4, 2007 at 3:27:03 pm

First off, before you reply to this post, you'll have to explain why my previous post was condescending? I'm not here to ruffle feathers. For several years I have tried to help people out and clear up some misinformation on this forum.

Blu-Ray is a great format....on paper. If players don't live up to the technology, whats the point of bringing it up. Much of those spec on the wiki link are null and void at this point.

But what about people like you and me and our clients? What happens if when they need interactive HD on disc - where do you go? Do you or your client have $100,000 to spend? What if Sony doesn't like the content you or your client wants to release. You think thye're going to let you replicate any discs?..of course they won't. Just the fact Sony has complete control on who replicates a disc or not is reason enough not to support BR.

I could understand supporting BR from an un-educated customers view point. But from someone who authors disc for a living..I just dont get it.

E

Return to posts index

Superfly
on Jun 5, 2007 at 2:03:10 am

Hey Guys,

Sorry if I hit on a sore spot and I appreciate the info. As always I will wait until this all hashes itself out. It's all got to make good business sense.

I was under the impression that the PS3 was a huge flop, at least that's the popular sentiment among all the gamers that I work with.

Maybe it's just going to take time to refine it? This will certainly make my job very difficult no matter how you slice it.

This is actually the kind of thing that could put a little guy like me out of business if I don't handle it well.

Interesting stuff. Feel free to chime in if anybody's got anything.

Cheers,

S.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Jul 6, 2007 at 1:47:53 pm

recieved a qoute recently of $70,000 - $100,000 to author a BluRay title.

I may be missing something, but it would only cost me about $900 for a Premiere Pro/Encore upgrade ($1400 full price) and a Panasonic SW-5582 Blu-ray recorder to author AND burn. Yeah, I have DVDSP, but there are no recorders out there to be able to burn anything to HD-DVD. Maybe the BD workflow/price doesn't work so well for replication, but for content producers like the OP, this is the ONLY way to give consumers HD now, as far as I know.

tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]