FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with Mastering DDP - keeps saying discs are multisession

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kermit
Problems with Mastering DDP - keeps saying discs are multisession
on May 8, 2007 at 4:51:43 am

We keep having problems with the DDP data that we have been sending to our mastering company. They keep telling us that some of the DVD discs that we have been sending them have been set to multisession and that the preocess they are using - "Glassmastering" - will not recognize multisession discs.

Unfortunately we have not been sending them any multisession discs.

The process we have used to create the DDP data is to use the program 'Gear Pro Mastering Edition 7.01', and create the data either from the image, the Physical discs or the VIDEO_TS files straight off the hard disk.

We then burn the DDP data; at first we just used 'Nero Pro', but since we've had these problems we have opted to use the burning capabilities of 'Gear Pro'. However all of these moves have lead us to the same results (i.e. some discs look like multisesison discs to our mastering company).

We have been stressing to them that we are not using multisession but they still keep telling us we do.

I was thinking that perhaps there is a flaw in our process that we could shore up or that there may be a bug in one of our programs that only shows up occasionally.

Any help will be appreciated...cheers

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
Re: Problems with Mastering DDP - keeps saying discs are multisession
on May 9, 2007 at 2:09:10 pm

Hi Kermit,

The "flaw" in your process is you're not using DLT (I'm sure you're thrilled to hear that).

Professional submission of DDP Images to the plant for Standard Def DVD projects is on DLT, Hard drive, or by FTP.

Sorry you're having issues.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com

Return to posts index

kermit
on May 10, 2007 at 1:58:21 am

We were using DLT and we had no problems, but to cut costs and through the advice of our replicators we had moved to DVDRs...

...I know DLTs are probably better but can anyone suggest a solution to our current problem with DVDRs?

Return to posts index

lukeny
on May 10, 2007 at 2:47:48 pm

Burn the DDP image itself to DVDR (like a data disc). Just make sure that you burn the "Layer0" folder with the DDP image contents inside. If your current maufacturer is using Eclipse based Premastering software they should be able to choose the option "DDP from Disc". Basically you would be using the DVDR as a harddrive. I get many masters in this way and have never had a problem (Plus you can have copy protection!!). Believe me I would rather premaster a DVDR/External Harddrive than a DLT any day (Quicker and DLT tapes go bad quite often.

Also if you are using Scenarist 3.X to Author some drives will think it is multisession only because Scenarist does not close the disc.

The Premastering software Eclipse has fixed this issue in version 5.0 (just released). We were having many DVD masters come in that Eclipse was saying were multisession when they really were not!

Hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions.

Luke

Premastering Engineer

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
on May 11, 2007 at 2:08:27 am

Now, you're hard drive submission preference was right on, Lukeny :-), which I also share.

But Kermit, if you go with a DLT 8000 drive (inexpensive on eBay) and DLT Type IV tape, you'll hardly find a replicator complain about taking too long to extract the Image, and/or try to stear you towards DVD-Recordable submission of your (and your clients') master.

And Lukeny, I'm glad to hear you offer your customers the ability to submit Images on Hard drives; a lot of replicators don't.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
TFDVD Research Labs
DVDVerification.com

PS Lukeny (I couldn't find a way to contact you privately): may I ask what the heck you guys are showing with the new Eclipse 5's UDF verifier? Are your clients seeing all these warnings in the reports, especially with Scenarist formatted Images (DVD Studio Pro projects have relatively clean UDF structures)? Or are you setting the rules to ignore these UDF abnormalities present in all Scenarist discs?

I've been beta testing Eclipse Image Analysis 5 (and the upcoming 6, which is the HD DVD/Blu Ray version) for over a year now, and have determined that these 'standard' UDF warnings returned by Eclipse IA 5 in all Scenarist Images don't effect playability (at least in my 70 players).

But you know how it is when good folks see something flagged as 'incorrect' with their Images!? I like to report squeaky clean Images for replication to my authorihng house clients.

So, just wondering how you're going to explain these UDF issues to your customers? And while I have you; what is your take on these UDF errors and warnings, especially with Scenarist Images?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

lukeny
on May 11, 2007 at 11:50:43 am

We are seeing UDF abnormalities on masters created by all authoring programs (Scenarist included). We keep in tight contact with Eclipse support to weed out the ones that effect playability and ones that don't. Version 5 has been an interesting one to grasp (mainly because the blu-ray and HD-DVD UDF specifications are much more strict than SD-DVD) So the result is UDF errors on SD-DVDs that really have no effect on playability. So I can PM a job on v.5 and will get UDF errors and warnings but PM on version 4.1 and it will pass with flying colors. As far as our rules and behaviors settings, when we run into an issue we just contact support and they will let us know if the error can be changed to a warning. Thankfully in the help file it will state whether it is a BD-ROM/HD-ROM/SD-ROM issue. So we can weed some issues out right off the bat.

I have to say though DVD Studio Pro has really stepped it up on version 4.1.2 as far as adhering to the UDF DVD Spec.

I really am surprised that Sonic STILL has not released 3.1.5 yet. Looking at the release notes it looks as if they have fixed a couple issues (Finalizing the disc for one!!)

oh and BTW, Fire wire Hard Drives are definitely my favorite master to receive (Loading one now).

Hope these answer some of your questions.

Luke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]