FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cross-Platform ROM Authoring?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hitparader
Cross-Platform ROM Authoring?
on May 4, 2007 at 9:53:47 pm

Hello,

We have a project that contains both DVD video and substantial ROM content. The ROM content consists of a self-running exectuable application, and versions of the application have been compiled for both Mac and Windows.

Our client is requesting that we somehow serve up only the content appropriate to the user's platform i.e., Mac users see only the Mac exectuable program, and Windows users see only the Windows exe. Back in the CD-ROM days this required some specialized software, but given the inherent cross-platform nature of the DVD disc itself, is there any way within the authoring process to perfom this platform detection? We are using DVD Studio Pro but also have Scenarist, just would rather not pay the Scenarist operator's rates if we do not have to.

Return to posts index

drumrob
Re: Cross-Platform ROM Authoring?
on May 5, 2007 at 12:18:01 am

The way the ROM portion behaves is not a function of the authoring program you use for the DVD. All DVD authoring packages basically just put a ROM folder on the disc when you specify it, there is no other programming done on it.

The ROM portion itself then would have to have the routine you are looking for to determine what type of computer, etc. It's been a LOOONG time since I've been around Macromedia Director programmers (I think Adobe bought Macromedia?), but Director may have some routines to help. There is also a company called "Interactual" that licenses their player to be used with ROM content on DVDs. They have done hundreds (thousands?) of Hollywood feature film ROM sessions. A good computer programmer can also write routines to do what you are looking for, using C++ or whatever other languages are being used these days.

Have fun!

Rob

Return to posts index

hitparader
on May 5, 2007 at 4:16:44 am

Thanks for your reply. Back in the CD-ROM days we'd simply create a multisession ISO file that had both the HFS and Joliet file systems, so each platform would recognize the appropriate content. However I don't think that's possible with DVD. Yes, we are well aware of Interactual but their fees and overhead are not practical for his project. But if both platforms read the same volume then yes it should be just a matter of including a cross platform "stub" program there that would detect the OS and launch the appropriate content.

I guess the only issue then would be if the volume supports Mac files natively so resource forks don't get stripped.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on May 5, 2007 at 12:59:50 pm

[hitparader] "Yes, we are well aware of Interactual but their fees and overhead are not practical for his project."

Since the release of eDVD 4 there are no fees or licenses involved with the use of InterActual. Not that I feel it is the correct solution, but I thought you might want to know that.

I don't believe there is anyway to "hide" the opposing OS's files from each other. It doesn't really matter does it as they won't be able to execute the other system's application.

Seems that you need a Macromedia programmer to create the stub. If you burn the "master" on a Mac you should not have any problem with missing resource forks.

Dave

Return to posts index

hitparader
on May 7, 2007 at 5:16:52 pm

Hello,

Thanks. I don't think eDVD is offered for sale any longer, however if I can burn from an ISO file directly to the DVD I believe we can use our old CD-ROM approach and create a hybrid ISO. That way the ROM volume will ahve an ISO view and an HFS view.

Return to posts index

joegill
on Jun 8, 2007 at 5:52:24 pm

Hey Dave -

So how does one use the interactual stuff without eDVD? I ask not to question your answer, but just to find out. We used to like Interactual, but find it too expensive. This could be very interesting. Thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]