FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDDvd and BluRay in action

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evolution
HDDvd and BluRay in action
on Apr 27, 2007 at 4:07:44 pm

I'm not finding any posts on this that are post NAB, and just wanted to get thoughts for the real pro's (not just guys fumbling with DVDSP and Encore like me).
BluRay vs. HDDVD
Has anything at NAB or just out there lead anyone any closer to an answer as to which will take the front position?
I saw that Encore will be supporting BluRay. Failed to ask if that will be full function authoring or just straight/simple burns.
Will either formats players support burned copies vs. replicated yet? Most curious to me would be will a BR disc out of Encore play back in a Playstation3? Given the number of PS3's out there, and their price point vs. other standalones, I would think that would be a big push for BR.
Just hoping that a true delivery solution will come about so that HD will make since for us.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

eric
Re: HDDvd and BluRay in action
by
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:34:23 pm

It's impossible at this point who will win this. Its also possible no one will win. Product like Encore and DVDSP will give you a Blu-Ray or HD DVD disc but it won't include any of the advanced interactivity like the stuff you see from the studios - just a simple menu.

Here's comprehensive list of authoring tools:

http://dvdone.netblender.com/2006/12/14/nextgeneration-dvd-authoring-tools-...

Authoring a HD DVD(Advanced Content) or a BD-J title is more programming than authoring really. On the HD DVD side Playlists, Manifest and Markup, ACA files needs to be written by hand then muxed in something like Scenarist. Needless to say it's needs to be in the hands of experienced coders - it will probably be this way for sometime until the tools mature.

Not sure if Encore will work in Playstation - try it out and see.

I work for a small company and can say that we've been working on a HD DVD (AC) title and it's been issue after issue but hopefully the pains will be worth it in the end.

BD-J is a whole new ballgame for sure. HD DVD is based on the current SD DVD spec so the jump is not as great but I guess Sony has decided they want to make something totally new. They came up with something really cool but, IMO, the time, and expense to create a BD-J just may hurt them in the end - Most DVD design and authoring companies are not the movie studios - do you hear me talking Sony? :)

A client of ours recently recieved a quote to author a BD-J title - Hope your sitting down -

$70,000 - $100,000 !!!

E

Return to posts index

Evolution
on Apr 27, 2007 at 8:47:48 pm

Thanks for the info and the link. The link is dated end of 06, so I'm curious how acurate those assertions are with things moving as fast as they are.
The reason I mentioned the tie between PS2 and BluRay from Encore, is that's what I was told at NAB, although I never did find just which demo booth/stand had it.
If I might ask, what is your client intending to do with the HDDVD project you're working on once it's complete? Is it for distribution or an installation or show? That's what we see (installation or show) as our first chance to push a client to an HD deliverable.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 27, 2007 at 9:09:45 pm

That list still stands. The HD DVD title is for distribution.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 28, 2007 at 2:45:52 am

With all the delays on affordable and accessible HD disk authoring programs and burners it seems that for shows or installations that will be projected or played on plasmas on kiosks, Windows Media with some kind of menu driven interface would work pretty effectively. It doesn't give you a distribution method, really, but you could package up the files and burn them onto a standard DVD.

I have a CD Menu authoring program that I use to create pretty simple titles and I think that would work pretty good. Since several video cards support the resolution needed, I believe a Windows Media solution with a simple interactive menu would suffice while we wait for the holy grail of laser based disc authoring.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

SS Scott
on Apr 30, 2007 at 6:15:20 pm

You can author Blu-ray discs with HD menus, timelines and slideshows today with DVDit Pro HD from Roxio. The software was recently patched so that the BD-R/RE discs it creates work with the latest firmware from PS3. If you have any Roxio or Sonic software on your computer (DVDit, Creator, MyDVD, RecordNow), it's a cheap upgrade for DVDit Pro HD at $199.

Return to posts index

Borjis
on May 6, 2007 at 6:26:56 am

can you upgrade from ReelDVD to DVDit Pro?

Had to ask.

Return to posts index

SS Scott
on May 7, 2007 at 8:25:43 pm

yes, the sonic/roxio upgrade/crossgrade path includes DVDit, Roxio Creator, MyDVD, RecordNow, ReelDVD, Producer & Scenarist

Return to posts index

Borjis
on May 30, 2007 at 4:28:20 pm

wow thats awesome you can upgrade from all those different apps! thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]