FORUMS: list search recent posts

burned disk not like simulator version in DVDSP 3.0.2

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
randall
burned disk not like simulator version in DVDSP 3.0.2
on Apr 26, 2007 at 3:30:41 pm

The simulator version of my project works perfectly, but when I burn the disk, the main menu is inoperative--selected text does not highlight, can't select any buttons with mouse on computer or remote on DVD player. Using down arrow no highlights appear, but by counting clicks, and pressing enter I can bring up the submenu. On the submenu, 6 of 21 buttons are inoperable. All button settings are identical, and all buttons and tracks work perfectly with the simulator. I have burned more than a dozen disks trying different options, including creating a new project. I was successful with one disk using all eight buttons and tracks of the main menu and only five of twenty-one buttons and tracks on the submenu. The material is all video imported from FCP. This is a commercial project with a deadline. I have never encountered anything remotely like it before. I would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: burned disk not like simulator version in DVDSP 3.0.2
on Apr 26, 2007 at 7:13:08 pm

What program are you using to burn?

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

randall
on Apr 26, 2007 at 7:22:03 pm

Thanks, Don. I am using the burner that's part of DVDSP 3.0.2.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 26, 2007 at 7:41:10 pm

It's sounds like there's something funky going on within DVDSP. You might try trashing the program preference file. The path is:

Macintosh HD>Users>"yourname">Library>Preferences>com.apple.dvdstudiopro.plist

DVDSP will create a new pref. file when you start the program again. But before you use the burn function within DVDSP I would instead create a disc image and then try another project burn using Apple's Disc Utility. It's generally accepted that burning from a disc image is more reliable than burning within DVDSP.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

randall
on Apr 26, 2007 at 7:57:34 pm

Thanks, Don. I've already trashed the prefs but I had not thought to burn using the disk utility. I'll try that. Thank you. Randall

Return to posts index

randall
on Apr 26, 2007 at 11:31:50 pm

Hi Don. I trashed the prefs again and tried burning the disk within DVDSP as before with the same negative results. How do I make a disk image and how do I burn that in the disk utility? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 27, 2007 at 3:18:27 am

Follow the tutorial at the link below:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/image_to_disk_stone.html

I've saved all my DVDSP projects as disk images for awhile now and I can't remember the last time I burned a coaster.

- Don

Return to posts index

randall
on Apr 27, 2007 at 4:23:38 am

Thanks very much. I'll let you know if it works. I went to the genius bar at my local Apple Store today but they did not very much about DVDFCP.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 27, 2007 at 4:38:13 am

[randall] "I went to the genius bar at my local Apple Store today but they did not very much about DVDFCP. "

So I guess they're not geniuses after all, huh? So much for truth in advertising. When you've finished building and saving your disk image to your hard drive you can always test the image using Apple's DVD Player app before you actually burn to DVD. Using the DVD Player app instead of the Simulator within DVDSP may reveal the problems you were talking about.

If I was to hazard a guess, I don't think that creating a disk image is going to solve your troubles with this project, especially if you can burn previous projects to physical DVDs and have them play back in consumer DVD players without issue. I think there might be a piece of corrupt media in there somewhere that's causing trouble. But I may be wrong and using the disk image workpath may solve it. Hope so.

- Don

Return to posts index

randall
on Apr 27, 2007 at 5:10:51 am

Making a disk image did not solve the problem, but I am so grateful to you for telling me about the process, which will be my standard from now on. I think you are correct about the corrupt media. I am going to rebuild the disk element by element (28 tracks) and make a disk image and test it as I go until I find the corrupt element. One thing the apple store genius did spot was that when mousing over the buttons that don't work, the pointer turns to the hand at the far left and right margins of the menu. The buttons don't change to their highlight color when the pointer turns into the hand, but clicking when it is a hand activates the button. I have built the buttons two different ways (neither works): dragging them out across the whole screen and justifying the text to the left, and by using the default button template from the palette and re-sizing it to fit just the button text, again justified left. I will first try it with the buttons centered. In any case, being able to use the .img file will save time and DVDs--I've burned up seventeen so far. Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 27, 2007 at 5:39:38 am

Okay. Good luck with the rebuild. I'll watch this thread for awhile just to see if you report back on your progress. I'd be interested in knowing what the problem(s) turn out to be.

- Don

Return to posts index

randall
on Apr 27, 2007 at 2:21:36 pm

Thanks, Don. I should know something by the end of today. I really appreciate your taking the time to help. Randall

Return to posts index

randall
on Apr 28, 2007 at 3:57:32 am

Don--It works! I first built it using a template from the palette to see if the buttons would function properly. Then I replaced the palette background with my own, and it works perfectly. I think the whole problem was that I was left-justifying the button text. This time around I centered it and moved the entire button to the left margin of the frame. Using the Build/Format and disk image routine you explained to me is what saved the day. I am really grateful for your help. Randall

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 28, 2007 at 5:03:53 am

Exellent! Glad everything worked out for you. You mentioned in a previous post about the text issue. I guess now we know that the text has to be pretty much right underneath the buttons for them to be activated properly.

Best,

- Don

Return to posts index

randall
on Apr 28, 2007 at 8:12:34 am

That seems to be it. Makes you wonder why there are left and right justify options if they prevent the buttons from functioning properly. It was a hard lesson to learn, but it is learned. Thanks, Don. Randall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]