FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD glitches II

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LifePrints Video
DVD glitches II
on Apr 13, 2007 at 3:45:23 pm

hi there
I'm getting all kinds of glitches burning a viewable DVD through DVD Pro/FCP 5. It's been quite a while now and it's driving us crazy. I'm using a G5 pre-intel, with 4GB RAM, and whatever internal DVD burner is in there (pioneer?)
Anyway, I was starting to think it is the burner itself but looking at some older posts found that it might be bitrate related?. What kind of bitrate is too much and how can I adjust it down? and how much can i adjust down and still get quality in a timely fashion?

What else might be going on? This process is painfull enough without these added technical snafus... The glitches are basically bad DVD sections that skip or pixelate while viewing on a (new) DVD player. The media is DVD-R that costco sells, but I've also tried mastering (expesive) DVDs to no avail.

thanks in advance for any pointers

Return to posts index

eric
Re: DVD glitches II
by
on Apr 13, 2007 at 6:40:55 pm

Those glitches are probably related to your overall bitrate. The DVD spec can only handle roughly 9.8 mb/s. The first thing to ask is how long is your program? This will affect how low or high you can go with the bitrate because you have limited space on a disc. The second question is - did you use AC3 audio? AC3 has a much lower bitrate than AIF saving you loads of bandwidth withing that 9.8 mb/s spectrum.

You can adjust your bitrate in Compressor in the Inspector

Return to posts index

LifePrints Video
on Apr 14, 2007 at 6:28:58 am

thanks Eric

I'm not aware of AC3, so it is AIFF that I use. The only other option I see is dolby. I'll take a look see at what the default bit rate is. Sometimes I compress over an hour of material, but these glitches occur even in shorter pieces,
So how do I do the sould in AC3 and does it compromise the sound quality?

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 14, 2007 at 4:19:51 pm

AC3 is Dolby. Check your bitrate first. You can keep it below 7 for a 1 hour piece and use that AC3 audio and see if that helps. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Return to posts index

LifePrints Video
on Apr 15, 2007 at 5:06:33 am

thanks Eric, I will let you a;; know, but it will take a while. I'm a bit of a weekend wqrrior right now, and this weekend is alreay filled to the gills

Return to posts index

LifePrints Video
on Apr 15, 2007 at 5:13:48 am

I'm also typing in the dark here...sorry for the spelling

One last question. Where can I check where my bitrate is? In other words, is there a default setting I'm totally unaware of that might have been preset too high?

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 15, 2007 at 6:52:24 am

Check in your inspector in Compressor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]