FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Authouring - Maintaining Line21 from Master

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Klipp
DVD Authouring - Maintaining Line21 from Master
on Apr 5, 2007 at 7:56:41 pm

I am working in DVD Studio Pro 4, producing DVDs of the final masters of our NTSC SD programs. We capture the Captioned Master into FCP, captioning is there, load that into DVD Studio, and after we encode the DVD, we lose our closed captioning. Is this because of the MPEG encoding? Is there away to work around this? Should I be able to maintain the Line 21 embedded on the program master?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: DVD Authouring - Maintaining Line21 from Master
on Apr 6, 2007 at 4:11:53 pm

Caption data in line 21 does not survive MPEG-2 encoding (although I have seen it carry over on rare occasions). You need to export a caption file for DVD authoring from the software that created the closed caption data on the master. Then import that file into DVDSP, and your caption data will be there in the final authored output.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Apr 6, 2007 at 9:01:58 pm

[Bill Stephan] "You need to export a caption file for DVD authoring from the software that created the closed caption data on the master."

Another option is to get a CC decoder and software to read the data off the tape and convert it to the appropriate script for your authoring software. (Google may be helpful in finding such systems.) Or, you can send it to a CC service and have them to it for you.

Dave

Return to posts index

Andrea Klipp
on Apr 10, 2007 at 5:28:54 pm

Thanks for your response. I have not yet worked in DVDSP with a L21 file. Is there a way to set the "start" to the closed captioned file? In almost all cases we only capture one second of black prior to the start of the program. Am I going to have to capture more - and then adjust in DVDSP in order for the captioning file to line up? Thanks again - I appreciate your help on this one.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Apr 11, 2007 at 10:41:11 am

You can do an offset in DVD SP, but only in one direction i think... If you need the other direction, add some more black before in the timeline, set a marker and make that your first play.
Or use SCC offset, download from the site below.
The free demo is very handy for getting the timing right.

hth

Bouke

http://www.videoToolShed.com
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Andrea Klipp
on Apr 12, 2007 at 3:52:50 pm

Thanks! I will give it a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved