FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding folder of pdf docs to interactive DVD-ROM in DVDSP4?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kwamba
adding folder of pdf docs to interactive DVD-ROM in DVDSP4?
on Mar 29, 2007 at 1:17:46 am

Is there a way to add a button in DVDSP4 which will open up a folder containing pdf documents on the DVD disc when you are playing the video in your computer's DVD drive?

Obviously, users can just open up the DVD-ROM disc on their computer, but we are trying to find a way for a user to click a button from within their video player software (on the front interface of the DVD menu) which will open the disc and folder for them. Is this possible?

This is for an interactive DVD, with lots of menus and links short video clips, and we also have a number of computer-based documents that we want people to be able to access if they are using the product on their computer. We have set this up using the DVD@cess feature in DVDSP4, but it's pretty inconsistent in real-world testing. We thought that it might be better if we simply had a button on the top menu interface called "Computer-based documents" or something to that effect which would simply open up a folder with all the documents rather than trying to get DVDSP4 to open up each document individually.

Any input would be appreciated!

Wendy, Kwamba Productions

Return to posts index

mike velte
Re: adding folder of pdf docs to interactive DVD-ROM in DVDSP4?
on Mar 29, 2007 at 7:51:00 pm

There is another world of authoring round shiny discs for interactive whatever. Apps like Flash, Multimedia Builder or Director have been doing this for years.
When a round shiny disc (DVD or CD) is inserted into the DVD_CD ROM Windows Looks for:
1. A .inf file for instructions to launch/play something

AND

2. A file/folder that Windows has had past experience with and was given instruction to "Do this every time..." such has play a video DVD (VIDEO_TS).

After you learn how to author in the aforementioned "another world", you could burn the VIDEO_TS folder and also the files needed for a PC interactive disc.
The best results you could expect is that your interactive program begins. But if the PC has played Video DVDs in the past, Windows Media Player will launch as well or instead of the PC interactive program.
I suspect the results would be unpredictable.

Return to posts index

kwamba
on Mar 30, 2007 at 5:42:46 am

Thanks, I'm familiar with the "other worlds" of Flash and Director, my question was directed specifically at using tools within DVDSP4, since this is a heavily video-based DVD, and we need it to play on regular DVD players as well (obviously, without access to the DVD-ROM features then). But thanks for your input, all "worlds" have their pros and cons and work-arounds!

Anyone else tried to do this in DVDSP4?

Wendy, Kwamba Productions

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 3, 2007 at 4:39:28 pm

One issue you might come upon is that once a PDF is put on a disc and sent out it has a date stamp. If you ever update that file the person with the disc has an old version. I almost always recommend putting a web link on the disc that leads them to the PDF's and other content. This way the most recent version is always a click away. It is also a way to have the DVD user provide their email so when updates become available they are notified.

Adding a Web Link oonto a DVD on a Mac in DVDSP you use DVD@ccess. You can author the disc on the Mac this way, then take your VideoTS buld to a PC and use Sonics eDVD to make the link available to PC users. This way everyone will have accesss to the most current files. The only caveat is that you must have an internet connection to get the files.

Does this help?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

vjdiangelo
on Apr 24, 2007 at 4:38:20 pm

So I am having the same issue. It also looks like Sonic is no longer selling the eDVD software. Are there any other workarounds to make the link work? Is eDVD still available somewhere and what does it cost?

I have it authored on DVDSP and it works great on Macs and when The DVD@cccess plugin is installed on PCs, but I really don't want to force the end-user to install a plug in just to see the link. In that case I'll just tell them to open the folder from the disc!

Thanks,

Vic DiAngelo
Glazen Creative Studios
Cleveland, Ohio

Return to posts index

Ben Gurney
on Apr 11, 2009 at 9:13:04 pm

I am completing a Training DVD project and I am using DVD@ccess to launch a pdf document. It works fine on a Mac, but it is very inconsistent on PC. In fact the DVD won't play inside some DVD players on PCs.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 11, 2009 at 10:09:22 pm

Yes, under no circumstance should DVD@ccess be used on a title that will be widely distributed. Abandon the idea.

Simple put a menu telling people that the pdfs are on the disc. Leave it at that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]