FORUMS: list search recent posts

Techniques needed for password protecting video titles on a DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
blkhwks19
Techniques needed for password protecting video titles on a DVD?
on Mar 26, 2007 at 7:18:36 pm

I am authoring a DVD for a client who would like it to include several video titles, each protected by a numerical password (built into a menu interface). Ive been able to do this but I've noticed a few ways to bypass this (and its quite easy). One is to insert the DVD into a PC instead of a set top player and simply go to Open File... and choose the title to view in whichever DVD Player application you're using. The other seems to be more of a "glitch" on set top players. While at the password input screen, pressing STOP and then pressing PLAY again bypasses the menu and plays the title.

Im sure there are other ways to bypass this, but does anyone know of any way of tightening up the restrictions, making it tougher to get to the titles without a password? The client is going to be selling the videos, so they would like to make it as secure as possible, but they also understand it will never be 100% secure, but would like to it be as close as possible.

If anyone has any knowledge or experience dealing with this kind of issue, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton in advance!
-Jeff

Return to posts index

Randal Liu
Re: Techniques needed for password protecting video titles on a DVD?
on Mar 27, 2007 at 7:32:29 am

I think such password protect is very weak. It is just a feature. As to PC, everything is open, so you needn't do anything more. For DVD player, maybe you can author the password menu as the first chapter of each VTS(multi-pgc title). Perhaps player's resume function will remain the password menu after press "PLAY".(I havn't testified). Also please disable the "NEXT" key for the password chapter.

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: Techniques needed for password protecting video titles on a DVD?
on Mar 27, 2007 at 11:16:59 am

As you and the client are aware, anything you do can be circumvented. But as you said, perhaps "slowing" them down might help a little ;)

What software are you using to Author your DVD's? And what is the total duration of all your assets on the disc (and how much space are you using on the disc)? There might be some additional things you can add depending on the software you use...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]